Chapter 20 - Kill Them

The awards ceremony was delayed. Having the winner in the care of Recovery Girl postponed the celebration, not that that quieted the chatter in the stadium. Everyone was talking about the girl made of smoke and fire.

"Why do you think she held back from showing us her fire?" Kaminari asked the others. He was surrounded by the rest of Class A, save for Bakugou who was also in the medical wing for his burns, and Todoroki, who had left the stands the moment the match was over, a deep frown on his face.

"She said she could only light her fingertips. And her eyes got all creepy and red?" Mina chimed in, goosebumps still covering her arms.

"Hey! I have red eyes! And I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation," Kirishima tried to lighten the mood. "I mean, it looks like it took a lot out of her. Maybe she can only use it as a finisher?"

"But she basically teleported behind Bakugou! Are we ignoring this? That has nothing to do with smoke or fire. How many quirks does she have?" Sero added, miming your sudden disappearance and reappearance with hand gestures.

"Hey Midoriya!" The green-haired boy looked up at Kirishima's call. "Your Blackwhip kind of showed up from nowhere, right? Do you think she could have the same thing with teleportation?" Izuku had been flipping through several pages of his notebook trying to find any other examples of new quirks manifesting in such a way. You clearly didn't have his special quirk. What did you have?

"I really don't know. They said Blackwhip was dormant in me. Maybe... maybe she has something like that too? Under extreme pressure or stress it can manifest?" He was clutching at any logical explanation.

Kirishima puzzled at him warily before turning his attention toward the medical wing where you rested.

***

You didn't open your eyes but you were consciously aware of noises all around you. Monitors beeped and computers hummed. You could make out a faint mutter to your right as someone walked back and forth, reaching a drawer that slid open and then banged shut. A roller chair moved across the floor.

Your head throbbed and your arms tingled. Your throat was dry and raw. You were laying down, on... a hospital bed? Had you lost? The last thing you remembered was being pinned to the ground by Bakugou.

The noises faded. You fell back asleep.

***

The next time you roused you heard talking.

"You're lucky you didn't kill her!" a familiar voice hissed. "Sending explosions less than a meter from her face! Are you insane?!"

"You may have noticed I was being blinded and suffocated at the same time, so I'm sorry my survival instincts kicked in!" a new voice snapped back. "Besides, have you been training with her? That bullshit fire attack has you written all over it!"

"I... I had no idea she could do that," the first voice was quieter this time.

"Why are you here, anyway? You're all healed."

"I'm here for her. Why don't you leave!? You think she'll want to see the one who almost killed her when she wakes up?" The ire was back in his voice.

"OH, FUCK OFF! SHE'S MY...partner and I'll take care of her," a growl.

"Really? You're sticking with the partner line? You think she's even going to look at you after this?" You heard a chair push back suddenly.

"Back. the fuck. off. She's mine." The voice seemed farther away now, as if it was hovering above you.

Recovery girl walked back into the ward and saw Bakugou holding Todoroki by the collar above your sleeping form.

"You!" she pointed to Bakugou and hissed, trying to make her shout into a whisper so as not to disturb you. "Back into bed! And you-" Bakugou released Todoroki's shirt as the old woman pointed at the heterochromatic boy- "If you're not sick or injured get out! This is a place of healing."