Chapter 29 - Crush

"Get up." Aizawa's voice rang through your ears as you recovered from Todoroki's hit. You'd managed to pick yourself up after being released from your ice prison, but only achieved one feeble uppercut before Todoroki sent a half-assed kick to your side, knocking you back to the ground. Your limbs felt like lead as you pushed yourself to your feet once again.

It was your third session with Todoroki and Aizawa. The last few days had been full of tired muscles and blue tinted skin. You almost forgot what it felt like to be truly warm.

"Freeze her." Aizawa's tone was emotionless as he called for your continued torture. A thick venom coated your throat. While you knew your teacher was trying to help develop your quirk, you hated him in that moment.

Your eyes flashed red as you braced for impact. The ice hit your body like a tidal wave, enveloping you in an instant. You wiggled your fingertips.

Wait! I can wiggle my fingertips!

You looked down your nose, not being able to fully tilt your head and saw a red pulsing light within the ice. You wiggled some more. The ice felt softer, weaker. The light began to move, further and further up the column. You could bend your wrist, your elbow.

You stared up at Todoroki. His eyes were wide as he watched you glow. You tensed the muscles in your arm and punched forward. The ice cracked at your contact and you released your arm. It was covered in a bright dancing flame. You blinked. [e/c]. The fire went out.

"Again." Todoroki covered your free arm in fresh crystals. You tried to focus on the feeling. What had you been feeling? Fear? Hatred? Exhaustion? You longed for the flame to ignite on your skin, to feel the melting ice slide between your fingertips. But nothing happened. You just stood frozen, your teeth beginning to chatter once more.

"Release her," Aizawa finally said after another minute. Todoroki melted the ice quickly and threw a fresh towel over your shaking frame. You were proud you hadn't dropped to your knees again. "What happened?" your teacher asked after some color returned to your cheeks.

"Well, if I'm being honest, I was pissed that you would have him freeze me again." Your teacher hummed.

"Anger," he said almost to himself.

"Yeah, I guess anger. Is that important?" You twitched your fingers and toes, trying to regain feeling. Todoroki rested a hand on your back, sending calming waves of warmth through your body.

"It's the first time you've set fire without being in mortal danger. Instead, you channeled your power into a feeling. A strong feeling. Anger."

"So now I have to be angry all the time for this stupid thing to work? Who do you think I am, Bakugou?" you almost said it as a joke, but then recoiled, suddenly feeling that familiar pang in your chest. He still hadn't spoken to you. He hadn't returned to the lunch table. You didn't know where he went to eat or train.

"I don't think you'll always need to be angry," Aizawa ignored your comment. "But I think it's a big step toward controlling your fire, if you can direct it into something other than survival. You called it a stress response. Feelings of anger can cause a rush of adrenaline just as much as fear of death."

"So, you think it's adrenaline?" You started to pace, your legs feeling less shaky.

"Adrenaline can be caused by things as simple as exercise or watching a horror movie. If we can link your power to these more mundane adrenaline sources, you should be able to control your fire at a near subconscious level," Aizawa stated, looking thoughtful.

"So, we'll watch scary movies and work out together [y/n]," Todoroki finally spoke. You stared at him like he had three heads. "I'm your partner and we want to get this under control, right? And if you can make flame while doing something mundane, I'll be the right person to help you control it." You couldn't help but feel shocked at his offer.