Part 42: Our Once Upon a Time

"Here you are alone, and you deserve it," I started singing as I still held Harry's statue. "Your friends have turned to stone and that's on you." I turned to Mal. "You had a cause to serve but did you serve it? Or did you see yourself in a way that wasn't true?"

Mal only stared at me as I let Harry's statue go and walked over to her.

"This is not our father's fairytale. And no, it's not your mother's fault you failed," I sang.

"So when our story comes to light," Mal sang, trying to make me feel better. "Make sure the story that they write goes..."

"Once upon a time we tried harder," Mal and I sang together. "Once upon a time we tried again. Once upon a braver choice we took a risk, we used our voice."

"And that will be our once upon a time, this time," Mal sang.

"Why tell all those lies? Do you feel unworthy? Like there isn't solid ground to stand?" I sang, looking at Mal.

"But a stack of lies is not a firm foundation," Mal sang, already knowing she messed up.

"You can not build a castle on a mountain made of sand," I sang.

"This is not my mother's dark desire and no, it's not our father's hair on fire," Mal sang.

"Turns out it's you who's not awake," I sang. "So if there's change you wanna make."

"Once upon a time I fought a dragon," Mal sang.

"Once upon a time that beast was me," I sang.

"Once upon a misspent youth, she faced herself, she spoke the truth," Mal and I sang, spotting Uma and Sophia.

"That's how I see our once upon a time," Mal sang.

"This time," I sang as Mal and I ran over to Uma and Sophia.

"Uma!" Mal called out.

"Uma, stop! Please stop!" I called out to her.

Uma stopped and turned around.

"I need your help," Mal said. "We have a chance if we do this together."

"Your friends kick you to the curb?" Uma asked. "Good."

"Ben saw something in you and today, I saw it too," Mal said.

"You care. Uma, you care about everybody," I said. "And, Auradon is worth saving."

"Help us, please," Mal said.

"You two talk pretty," Sophia said. "But, she's already made up her mind."

"You brought this on yourself, Mal. And Chloe, I don't even know why you're still with her. Go back with Harry," Uma said.

"I can't," I said, holding back tears. "He turned to stone."

Uma looked at me sadly. "And who do you have to thank?"

"It wasn't Mal's fault," I said.

"Alright. Mal, you figure out how to fix this. Let's go, Sophia," Uma said before she and Sophia walked away.

"Life is not a storybook but life unfolds in chapters," Mal started singing.

"Turn the page and start to make amends," I sang. "There's no pre-written guarantee of "happily ever after"." I thought of Harry's sad face in stone and started to tear up.

"Step into your greatness before the story ends," Mal sang, trying to cheer me up. "So, when the story ends they'll say."

"Once upon a time, two girls flew higher. Once upon a time they made things right. Once upon a tie that binds, they changed their hearts to change their minds," Mal and I sang. "That's got to be our once upon a time."

"This once upon a time," I sang.

"We'll finally see our once upon a time," Mal sang.

"This time," Mal and I sang in unison, stepping up some stairs.

"Help me, Mal!" Celia's voice suddenly came, making me and Mal look up.