What's in a name?

Start from the beginning

He shrugged. "Nothing. Just have a lot on my mind."

"You're worried about the Sangeet, aren't you? Don't worry. If you trip and make a fool out of yourself on the stage, I won't laugh...too much."

He glared at her. "I'll have you know that I'm a phenomenal dancer, Wakeel Saiba."

Khushi frowned at him. "Wakeel Saiba?"

"Yeah," he asked confusedly. "I always call you that. What's wrong?"

Suddenly, Khushi felt stupid for making such a big deal out of him calling her by her name. "Nothing," she muttered before turning and asking Anjali about the wedding hall location.

"I didn't know you were a silent investor in a wedding hall, Di," Akash said.

"Me neither," Arnav said. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I did. Remember when I told you about my friend that had just gotten her business degree and sent us a business proposal last year? You said she didn't have enough experience for us to invest in her? But I went over her proposal myself and I thought it looked good. Plus, I knew how much it would mean for her family if the business worked out so I decided to do it on my own."

Arnav frowned. "I used to think you didn't keep any secrets from me."

Anjali rolled her eyes. "It's hardly a secret. I've mentioned it a few times--that's how Naniji and Mamiji know about it. But you and Akash seemed to tune out as soon as the word wedding was mentioned, no matter what the context."

Glancing at Akash, Khushi smirked and nudged Payal. "My, how times have changed."

Arnav, torn between laughing at the duo's responding blushes or scolding Khushi for teasing them again, settled for a simple smile. But his heart was still uneasy. The wedding hall may not be a big deal, but Di knew that Aman liked her and hadn't mentioned it at all. What else, he wondered, could she be hiding from him?

***

Madhumati had been both relieved and delighted when Khushi had called to say she was on her way home. The wedding was right around the corner and there were a thousand things to do. She instructed Khushi to meet her at the marketplace before finalizing the shopping list she'd prepared this morning.

Heading out, she went first to the bank to pick up some cash. Ever since her brother had passed away, she'd fretted about how she'd afford Payal's wedding. Her husband's pension and her sewing business were barely enough to feed herself. She couldn't ask Arjun for help, not when he himself asked her for help with the children's tuitions or the bills every once in a while.

And for a while, it seemed like things were getting worse. Payal decided to pursue a degree, and though she'd gotten a decent scholarship, she and Buaji still had to skip a few meals in order to cover her education expenses.

But then Payal had gotten her degree and started working. She and Madhumati managed to save enough money to fix up an old room of their house and took on a paying guest.

As Madhumati got off the Rickshaw, she smiled as she remembered how worried she'd been. What if the paying guest was untrustworthy or rude? What if they had a bad character or irritated the neighbors? What if they didn't pay their rent on time?

But Payal assured Buaji that they would be careful. The day before Payal was to give an ad for the room in the papers, Happy Ji approached them. He told them of a distant family relative who taught at a law school. That professor had a student that was looking for a place in New Delhi as she'd recently gotten a job here.

Buaji spoke to the law professor first, who assured her that Khushi was a good, well-mannered girl and then Khushi herself. Even on the phone, Khushi sounded bright and cheerful. Still hesitant, Buaji agreed that Khushi could stay for a one-month trial period before they decided if she could stay long term.