New English Teacher. Hot: Check. Arrogant: Double Check. A Vampire: What?? /9/

Start from the beginning

I exhaled sharply. "You can't promise that Caleb. I'm not some naive child. You cannot look me in the eyes, and honestly tell me you feel good about this situation. Can you?" I challenged him.

Caleb licked his lips. "Well I can promise you that Jace will have to go through me to get to you." As he said this, I was rendered speechless. Wow. He's willing to sacrifice himself, just to protect me? Quickly he rephrased. "What I mean, is that Nick and I will protect you at all costs."

I nodded. "Okay...." I began, a little hesitant. "Thanks, but I don't want you two jeopardizing your lives just for me. That's not fair. I have to repay you guys somehow. It just doesn't seem right, you giving up so much time and energy."

Nick chimed in as I said this. "Well baby, I know how you can repay me." He wiggled his eyebrows up and down. "If you know what I mean."

"Unfortunately we all do." Caleb retorted sharply. "And that is not going to happen." He said dismissively.

Huh, Caleb seems almost....jealous? "You ruin all my fun Caleb." Nick stated, as he stood up and moved into the kitchen. "We'll just have to see about that, now won't we?" He added with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "Sorry, I'm going to have to go with Caleb on this one. I think I'll have to pass on that payment." I said with a laugh.

Nick scoffed. "You just wait, I'll have you eating out of the palm of my hand soon enough. You won't even know what hit you."

I laughed a little more, as I directed my gaze to Caleb. He looked irritated at the whole conversation, as I furrowed my brows. "Yes well, I suppose we will see about all that." He said icily. "Anyways, Nick and I need to speak alone. Melinda would you mind going upstairs?"

I saluted him playfully. "Not a problem boss. You got it." With that, I moved up the staircase. As I did, I faintly heard Caleb say "Quit doing that!" to which Nick replied "What, she's hot!"

I shook my head with a smile, as I moved into my bedroom. Dusk was quickly approaching, as I moved towards the window pane. Everything looked so...eerie. All the wilting trees and dying trees made the atmosphere almost...scary.

I couldn't help but think about how Caleb was acting when Nick was saying all that. He seemed annoyed, jealous even. Does he like me or something? Nah, Caleb wouldn't. That's a silly thought.

But you know, there is still that chance that he does. I mean, who knows? He seems awfully protective of me. And just the way he looks at me, sometimes makes me think that he's attractive to me....in more than a friend way.

As I was looking out the window, I could have sworn I saw a figure move between the trees. This caused me to gasp, as I jerked away from the window. "Okay, I know for a fact I just saw that!" I exclaimed aloud.

Hurriedly I moved down the stairs, as I nearly crashed into Caleb. "Whoa! Slow down Melinda. What's going on?" He questioned, staring strangely at me.

"I just saw someone outside of your house! I swear! It was moving in between the trees and then was gone!" I said in one breath. "I'm not lying. I think there's someone out there."

Immediately Caleb became alarmed. "Go up into your bedroom, lock the door, and stay away from the window." He ordered, as Nick rounded the corner from the bathroom. He looked confused.

"What's up? Everything okay?" Nick asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Someone's outside. We need to go and scan the forest. So go on Melinda, do as I say and don't come out until I come and get you. Understand?" Caleb looked far more serious than before.