I rub his arm slowly, squeezing his hand with my other.

"There are many years where I might've wished for that news."

"All is not lost, Father. We have to fight the monster ourselves. So let us ride out and fight on our own terms; on open ground, on horseback, where we can manoeuvre better."

My heart drops but I always knew it would come to this. I tried to avoid the idea in my head but it kept pushing through on the ride back.

"There is no point," Uther replies.

"So what? We stand here, watch Camelot fall?"

Uther nods, leant over his table, stuck between a rock and a hard place. "You have my blessing."

"I need a dozen knights!" Arthur declares, turning around to address the room. "Those who do not wish to fight can do so without stain on their character. For those brave enough to volunteer should know, the chances of returning are slim."

I latch my eyes onto Leon's or is already staring at me. I shake my head, pleading with him not to go. I can't handle it. He breaks away, walking forward and my knees begin to collapse from under me again but my hold on Merlin keeps me upright.

More and more knights walk and I'm ever so grateful that Castor isn't here to volunteer himself as well.

The council breaks, finishing with Arthur's order to prepare for battle and I let go of Merlin, waiting for the knights to disperse. I wait in the corridor, and Leon is one of the last to leave.

He stops just outside the door and we stare at each other, not knowing what to say. I run forward, my arms flying around him and his own snake around me. I dig my head into his neck.

"Please don't go," I beg, my voice cracking. "I can't."

His arms tighten, fingers digging into my waist. "I have to. For Camelot. For you."

I don't know what else to say to him, but there doesn't seem to need any more words to exchange, our actions speaking louder than our voices. I don't move for a long time, scared to let go, not wanting him to see my face which is screwed tight and my lips are peeled back.

Three years. Three years of being one of the best people in my life and now I have to let him ride into a battle that I know he won't come out alive.

He finally pulls back, and I swallow, setting my face back to something I hope is neutral.

"I have to get ready," he mumbles. I nod, his hand cupping my cheek and I put my own hand over it.

"Come back."

He nods, walking away slowly. I watch him, my feet stuck in the same spot until he turns a corner out of my view, breaking me from my hold.

I sprint down the corridor, having another destination in mind. The air pushes my hair backwards and it flaps against my back, strands sticking to my damp cheeks.

I knock on the door but push it open before there's an answer. Merlin and Arthur are inside just as I thought. The Prince is fully strapped into his armour and Merlin stands by.

I walk up to Arthur, gripping his neck.

"I swear to the gods, if you don't come back-" I growl. Arthur closes his eyes, leaning forward and his forehead rests against mine.

"I'm not going to promise anything but just know that I'm going to do everything in my power to win this."

"I've already warned him that I won't let him mess his armour up," Merlin says from our side. I let out a choked laugh, leaning away from the Prince but it drops as I see the sword in the warlock hand.