"We're here." Farouq promulgated, as the car screeched to a halt in front of the hostel.

"That was quick." I voiced out my thought.

"Now, I'm sure something is really bothering you. What is it?" He probed.

"Like I said earlier, it's nothing." I rolled my eyes and alighted the car. "Thanks for the ride."

"Thanks, Farouq. Bye." Hala waved.

"Wait, Manal!" Farouq quickly got down from the car and walked over to where I stood. "Can I please have a word with you?"

I would have blatantly refused, but because I also have questions I wanted to extirpate from my mind, I consented. "You can go ahead, Hala. I will be there shortly."

"Okay." She respinded and hesitantly walked away.

My gaze trailed behind her retreating figure, until she had passed through the gates of the hostel. I wanted to ensure she had left, before speaking to Farouq.

"Manal, I -"

"What is it this time?" I snapped.

"I'm sorry if you feel I'm disturbing you too much, but there's something I need to say to you." He started.

For some inexplicable reason, I tensed up. "Is this about Farida?" I questioned.

"No." He firmly replied. "This isn't about her."

His words made me clench my fist by the side. My patience had began to diminish. "What is it really?" I finally mustered the courage to let out the question that had been bothering me for days. "I'm not a dunce, you know? The way you've been calling lately and picking me up from school; why are you doing all these? Please just tell. I'm sick and tired of having to pretend this is normal."

"That's what I want to tell you, but you keep interrupting me mid sentence. How am I going to say this?" He exhaled. "Okay, Manal, you're aware of what has been going on between your friend and I, right? I have tried everything in my power to make us work, but she's being adamant. It's not my fault I'm no longer interested in her, but in someone else."

Wait! Did I just hear correctly?

Momentarily, I was in daze. I snapped out of it and chuckled humorlessly. "That's it? Then why in earth are you still talking to me? From now henceforth, stay away from me. I have nothing to do with you anymore."

"I can't." He stated. "I can't do that, Manal, because the person I'm interested in now, is you. I love you."

My eyes dilated in sheer repugnance. I had a hunch he was up to something, but I never imagined he would say those words to me. At that very moment, I wanted nothing more, than to strangle him. But before I could even react, I heard someone gasp from behind me.

Farida?

My heart skyrocketed at the possibility. Swiftly, I turned around and there, stood Farida; unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

My hand instantly flew over my agape mouth. I wished I could be able to undo what had just happened. I had known Farida for many years, but never, not even once had I seen her so pained before. She had always looked at me with love in her eyes, but at the moment, all I could see in her eyes was unadulterated hatred. "Farida." I called and began to take few steps towards her, but she backed away and ran into the hostel.

"Don't be saddened by what happened. She's bound to find out anyways." Farouq remarked, making my blood boil. I had totally forgotten about his presence.

I gritted my teeth and turned to him. "This should be the last time you show yourself to me." I pointed a finger at him. "The next time you do, I'm going to have to report you to not only my father, but the school authorities as well." I threatened and I really meant everything I said. Abii would indisputably tear him into shreds.