“I-I,” I stuttered, as I dropped my gaze to the ground, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

                When I didn’t say what she wanted to hear, her face turned an ugly scarlet red. Her cat like eyes darted at me, as she shook her head threateningly. “You’re making a mistake here, Monroe.”

                She backed away from me, but her two other friends came crowding around me. They surrounded me so that I had no way out.

                “What do you want from me?” I asked.

                The brunette scoffed at me, before rolling her eyes in disgust. “One, stay away from Everett.” The brunette snapped. “He’s ours.”

                “And two,” the other blonde stepped forward, her icy blue eyes burning into mine, “stay away from Cassandra. She’s our friend, not yours.”

                “And if you don’t listen to what we say, you can-“

                “What the hell is going on here?” a voice asked, as all three of the girls suddenly backed up from me. All three of them, like perfect actresses, put on an innocent smile, as they battered their eyelashes up at Everett.

                “We were just asking Riley where she got those boots.” One of the blondes pointed to my Doc Martens. “They’re so cute.”

                “But Katie, you said that they were ugly because they didn’t have a heel!” the brunette whined.

                Katie, the blonde, shot the brunette a murderous glare. Everett, who was avoiding any eye contact with me, let out a sigh.

                “Just leave her alone.” Everett said. My heart began to beat faster. Was he defending me? “She’s really not worth your time.”

                My heart fell to the pit of my stomach, as I gulped down the ball that was in my throat. Sucking in a deep breath of air, I heard the sound of heels clatter away, but I noticed that there was still a figure standing in front of me.

                Staring up slowly, my eyes met Everett’s green ones. I held in my breath, as my cheeks turned bright red immediately from just staring into his eyes again. The feeling felt so familiar and comfortable, yet strange.

                “What did they say to you?” Everett’s voice was low.

                I stared down at my Doc Martens, refusing to look in his eyes ever again. I noticed that my hand was trembling by my sides, as I clenched my fists together tightly, my nails digging into my palms. “Nothing important.” I muttered, as I pushed myself off of the wall. “I have to go study.”

                I began to walk down the halls quickly, trying to escape Everett, but I just couldn’t. I felt his hand latching around my wrists, as my eyes widened. A burning sensation formed from where his hand was touching my wrist, as I jerked my hand away immediately. My breathing became heavier, as I stared up at Everett from behind my curtain of hair.

                “Did they hurt you?” Everett asked, his voice no longer harsh and full of hatred. I instantly felt relaxed at his smooth voice, the voice he used to use to speak to me.

                But, why the hell did he care?

                “It’s none of your business.” I whispered softly, before turning my back on him once again.