Chapter 23

Chapter 23

                I didn’t know what to expect when I got off the elevator on the second floor of the suites. I walked down the long hallway, looking at each of the doors for room number 231. In my hands, tightly clutched, was the note that Everett had left for me. With each step I took, my heart was beating quicker against my ribcage, and my palms had become sweaty from anticipation.

                On my way from the ballroom towards the suites, I kept thinking of what I could possibly say to Everett when I saw him. I was completely positive that I still had feelings for him- strong feelings. For the past two years, I hadn’t stopped loving him, not even once. I finally settled on telling Everett about my feelings when I saw him. I was going to tell him that I never stopped loving him, and I could only cross my fingers, hoping that he could feel the same way about me.

I let out a shaky breath, as I stopped at the last door of the hallway, room 231. My hands were trembling from nervousness, as I placed my palms on the golden door handle. Twisting the knob, I pushed the door open.

                Everything that I saw after that was a complete blur.

                I froze in my place, my body becoming numb. My lips were slightly parted from shock, as I stared at Everett, who was shirtless. His dress shirt and bow tie was tossed off to the corner of the bed, his belt unbuckled. A smear of Cassandra’s fuchsia pink lipstick was smudged over the nape of his neck, as she straddled him with her dress unzipped.

                At first, I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I couldn’t believe any of this, since I had just seen Cassandra downstairs in the ballroom not too long ago. The two of us were having a great time- we were both dancing together. How could she do this to me?

                But then, I registered everything in. From the look in Everett’s eyes, full of regret and sorrow, to Cassandra’s impassive and pale face.

                Holding in my tears, I gulped down the bulge that was in my throat. “I’m sorry for interrupting.” I managed to squeak quietly, before I turned my back on the both of them.

                Once I stepped outside the room, I made a dash towards the elevator. I was alone now, and there was no point in holding back to tears that were already streaming down my cheeks. I heard Everett cursing loudly, as footsteps ran up behind me. A hand was placed on my wrist, as I shook it off angrily. My heart was shattering into pieces, because I thought Cassandra was my friend, and I thought that Everett might return the feelings I had for him. But obviously, I was wrong, once again. I was stupid and naive.

                “Riley, please let me explain.” Everett said, the look in his eyes showing that he was desperate. “It wasn’t what it looked it, I swear.”

                Tears blurred my vision, as I shook my head weakly. I let out a hoarse laugh, barely recognizing how my voice sounded. My heart was hurting with each breath I took, as I took in a deep breath of air. “I really don’t want to hear it, Everett.” I whispered.

                Everett clenched his jaw, as he inched closer to me, making me take a step back. His eyes flashed with pain, as I stared away from him. I shifted my gaze on the floor, dipping my head low. “Riley,” he said lowly, “what happened in there with Cassandra was an accident. She came onto me.”

                I closed my eyes, as a heavy drop of water fell from my eyes. “An accident, huh?” I repeated. “So Cassandra’s lips just accidentally slipped onto yours? Your clothes just accidentally flew on the floor?”