book 1 - chapter 18

Start from the beginning

"I know." She says, sounding dry. "It's just, I don't know if I want to move on. I just can't get him out of my head. I feel so complete when he's around."

I proceed to hug her tightly, resting my head on her shoulder. "Just think about it, at least. For me."

"Fine." Korra appeases. "Only for you."

Korra and I were asked to come to the police station, as we were both witnesses of the happenings at the arena yesterday. We push open the doors and step inside. As we meet the receptionist, she asks us to wait as Uncle Tenzin and Chief Beifong are busy interviewing someone else.

We step to the side, waiting to be called. Suddenly, I hear a familiar voice call my name.

"Luna? Is that you?"

I turn around to see those piercing sky-blue eyes once more. Except this time, they don't look bright, they look broken. "Tahno?" I ask.

I proceed to sit next to him, pulling Korra to take a sit alongside me. I scan his face. He looks awfully tired, and his usual confident aura is completely gone. I look intently into his eyes and get an overwhelming feeling of complete and utter sadness.

I reach out my hand for him to grab. He looks over at me, then grabs it. "I'm sorry I was a jerk at the final." Tahno admits. "I was just taken aback about you playing against me."

"It's okay," I defer. "I'm sorry that Amon took your bending."

"I've been to the best healers in the city. Whatever Amon did to me, it's permanent." He says solemnly.

Korra looks up at him. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry too."

"You've got to get him for me." Tahno pleads, looking at the both of us.

Korra nods while I squeeze his hand harder. Despite Tahno being undeniably a pretty unlikeable person, I never wished for this to happen to him. After all, he was an excellent bender. I sit to ponder what my life without waterbending would be like. How I'd feel. I get chills all over my body at the thought.

Steps approaching us become louder, and I look up to see Chief Beifong, Uncle Tenzin, and Asami's father. "Mr. Sato, if you remember anything else about what you saw during Amon's attack be sure to let us know." Beifong commands.

"I'm happy to help anyway I can. I want these equalists to pay for what they've done." Mr. Sato replies. He then proceeds to nod at us, indicating that he's making his way out.

"We're ready for you now." Uncle Tenzin says, looking directly at Tahno.

I feel him let go of my hand. "See you around, Luna, Uh-Vatar." He proceeds to salute at us, then follows in Beifong and Tenzin's footsteps.

I gulp, feeling that my throat now is a bit dry. I turn to face my best friend. "I can't believe that's the same Tahno who I played with yesterday."

"Right?" Korra agrees. "He looks so sad. It made me actually feel bad for him, for once."

"I know." I say, slumping in my seat. I furrow my eyebrows and clench my fists.

"You good?"

"It's just that, I understand where Amon is coming from. Benders can be awful, I mean, I have firsthand experience. But, he's changing people's life permanently, and I don't think it's for the right reasons. I just wish I could understand."

"What do you mean?" Korra queries.

I fiddle with my thumbs, then turn to meet my best friend's gaze. "I want to know why he got so drastic. Why he felt the need to start a war."