"You made it sound like you had other reasons." Jade leaned on the countertop so she could see his face. He didn't look at her. "Me, specifically."

Sabik stopped filling up the cabinet and glanced at her. He felt a knot in his throat. He didn't know if he could say it. "I..."

Jade made a noise at the back of her throat. Something like disappointment or derision. "It's fine. You don't have to tell me why you're leaving."

"Um," Sabik was relieved, if anything, but still embarrassed. She felt nothing? Maybe he was crazy to think she was just as attracted to him as he was to her. Would she even admit it? Did it matter? It's not like there was anything they could do about it. Whatever it was, Sabik refused to let himself slip. There was nothing more useless or distracting than caring for someone. That was why he was here after all--because he cared too much about his brother. Romantic love was different. Maybe even more controlling. Familial love was expected, it was duty. It wasn't irrational. It couldn't just sneak up on you. He didn't know how he felt about Jade, but he knew he felt something. "So you will come to Janwala when you are done at..."

"Yes, once I go request Tranan Naval aide from Govenor Oriol," she nodded. After everything Captain Robert Fairburn had done to them back in Aydesreve, and on their voyage, it was safe to say that he was not only an enemy of theirs but to all of the Tranan Union.

Sabik examined a stain of dust on the bottom of his kurta. "That shouldn't take long. Rafaele can manage without me." He looked up at her. "That is what you are worried about, no? Because if there is something else on your mind, I would be--"

"No, it's--" She cut herself off and shifted in place. "Rafaele is inexperienced. But you're right. I mustn't underestimate him."

"It is good to be cautious," he said. "You are a great captain. I do not think your father would be surprised at all."

She brushed off the compliment by looking away. "Looks like we've got our own ships to sail." She stepped close enough that he could see the freckles on her cheeks. He wondered how long it would take to count them all. "Goodbye."

"I will see you in a few months,"

"Four or five." They stood for a moment, not saying much at all. It was impossible to tell what she was thinking. Sabik was wondering what she would say if she knew the real reason he was leaving. The night she got drunk put a lot of things in perspective. Sabik didn't want to stay around long enough to figure out whether she actually cared for him. He needed to know as much as he needed a knife in his throat. Not much. Not very much at all.

She reached her hand out and Sabik reciprocated. Her hands were calloused and rough, a testament to how long she'd been sailing. Handshakes weren't something they did in the Jhataran States. This was a strange tradition, but Jade was the first person who didn't attempt to make him lose balance with a tight grip. He wondered why that was when she was ready to prove her dominance any way she could. She pulled away from him when Haworth came sliding down the ladder. Jade spun around to face him.

"Oh, man," he said, scratching the corner of his jaw, stubbled with red hair. "I've stumbled on something, haven't I? You've got yourself a catch," he said, but it was hard to tell who he was winking at. He moved throughout the room with Amelia Rose's bags and plopped them onto a cot. Sabik followed to stow them away. He liked to keep an organized space.

"We were just saying goodbye," Jade said, paying more attention to a rip in her sleeve.

Haworth didn't look like he believed her, but he threw himself down on one of the cots, and stretched out. "I'm gonna miss you, Sawbones. You're not like those other Doctors telling me I should pay more attention to my health and this and that. I thought you'd be a real monkey ward cowboy, but I've got to say, I feel your oats, kid."

Sabik looked at Jade. "What is he saying to me?"

Jade laughed under her breath. "Something about your oats," she muttered.

"You're not bad, Sawbones, not'a bit." Haworth said. As Amelia Rose finally climbed down the ladder with her last bag, he looked at all of them. Sabik sighed. "Alright, We're leaving." He looked at Jade as Haworth made his way over to force Amelia Rose into a hug that she didn't ask for.

"Mail me in Aydesreve if you have anything important to say," Jade said.

"Yes, uh," Sabik paused. "Wonderful. Perfect. Mataam."

She looked over at Haworth and pulled him by the back of his collar. He stumbled back, pointing at Amelia Rose. "You be a little gallnipper, alright?"

"I will," she said with conviction. He winked back and clicked his tongue as Jade forced him up the ladder. Jade waved at Amelia Rose, smiling warmly at her. She nodded one last time at Sabik before going up the ladder herself. Once she was gone, Sabik followed.

"Are you ready to set sail?" he asked Amelia Rose. She ignored him, but he saw her moving toward her bag to look for her navigational gear.

As Sabik untied the ship from the dock, he watched Jade and Haworth walk away. He couldn't help feeling like he was making a mistake. Despite his insecurities, he and Amelia Rose unfurled the sails and slowly navigated out of the dockyard.