CHAPTER 1: AS GOOD AS IT GETS

Start from the beginning

"Well don't you look handsome!" Lillian gushed at the sight of her son despite him being dressed in baggy clothes that covered his entire frame. The long sleeves cursed him with sweater paws that he kept pushing back up, but the clothing slipped down his arm again each time.

Conan couldn't help but smile at his mother's bubbly attitude. He normally hated morning people but Lillian was an exception. She was always a beaming ray of sunshine and positivity that he aspired to follow after.

"How many pancakes? Two or three?" she asked. The pan she was cooking with sizzled under the batter as she flipped another pancake on the burner.

"I'm not really hungry." The nerves in his stomach were eating him inside-out. If he so much as took one bite, it'd end up all over someone's shoes later.

To anyone who didn't know him, he seemed fine. His face was blank. It was an expression he had practiced for years to master. He didn't want to be the same laughingstock he was at his old school. Going somewhere where nobody knew him was an opportunity to become a new person. To become the man he wanted to be without having to deal with anyone's unwanted judgement and cruelty.

Well, that was the plan at least. He couldn't bear to imagine what would happen if his secret got spilled. He made a promise to himself that meant he would do whatever it takes to make sure no one found out about his identity. Teenagers loved to gossip. If even one person knew, he'd be done for.

The only reason he wasn't nervous about Duncan knowing about it was that his parents might make them move again if the word spread. The last thing Duncan wanted was to have to restart again because of Conan's secret that he deemed to be ridiculous.

He didn't understand how Conan felt. Nobody did. Some pretended to, but they never really understood. And it made him feel even more isolated than he already was.

Lillian frowned at him. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You don't want to start off your first day on an empty stomach, you need your brain power!" She placed three pancakes on a paper to-go plate which was soon forced into his hands.

"Right," he agreed and thanked her so that he could get out the door faster.

They lived too close to the school for busing to be available but still not close enough for him or Duncan to walk, which resulted in them being forced to share an uncomfortable car ride to and from school every day that neither of them was looking forward to.

Conan made a move to escape but he was stopped by his mother who had her arms crossed over her chest, giving him an expectant look. They were almost at eye level. He was taller than her by an inch or so but it was barely noticeable. He thrived off of that extra inch though. Being taller than anyone at all made him ecstatic.

"Hug your poor mother." She tapped her foot impatiently on the floor with a raised eyebrow.

He sighed in defeat and gave her a quick hug. On the outside he might've appeared irritated, but inside? He loved her more than anything. His parents had been so accepting which made him eternally grateful. Not a lot of people had the luxury of acceptance from their family. It wasn't perfect because of the bullying and stray ignorant relatives here and there, but he was grateful nonetheless. It was better than nothing.

"Love you." He went to pull away but Lillian held onto him tighter.

"Please stay safe today," she spoke meekly with tears in her eyes. "I know it's not exactly like you can control it but for your old mother's sake, do whatever you can."

He swallowed down the lump in his throat. "I will."

Duncan was awkwardly standing by the door in silence. He watched the two, silently jealous of the affection he never got from their mother. In retrospect, it was his own fault. Though his ego wouldn't allow him to admit it.