Chapter 9: Mourning

Nico told them about what had happened. How his cousin, the one who had been there despite everything, had been killed.

He of course left out the details of what he'd been there for; cupid, the House of Hades, the war. He told them how he kept him from being exiled by the rest of the people they knew, how happy he'd seemed when Nico told him he would stay at camp.

"He- he was the only person that- that actually trusted me." He sobs into Hermione's shoulder, despite knowing he would regret sharing so much later.

Hermione exchanges a look with the other two, knowing for a fact that they, too, were guilty of having not trusted him. She pets his hair. None of them know what to say.

"Nico, I'm so sorry." Ron says, his hand on Nico's back. By now, they were all sitting on the forest floor, surrounding their friend as he mourns.

"I- have- I have to go home. Go- do the- his fune-" Nico's voice breaks off into another sob, tightly gripping Hermione's jumper.

They stay like that for a while longer, Nico crying himself into exhaustion.

The next morning, he was gone. Had disappeared at some point during the night. Over the following days, owl post confirmed he had made his way back home, wherever it was he live in America, and would be staying there for an amount of time none of them could be sure of.