Deirdre - Chapter Three

"Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?"

It's been three days since the party. Three days since the meeting in the woods. Three days since I ran away from the one person who was supposed to love me unconditionally. Three more days until my birthday and my first shift. The number three just really wasn't working out for me today.

"Hey, De," I turned to see Aric walking up behind me.

"Hey," I replied closing my locker.

"Three more days," he said excitedly, squealing like a little girl.

I rolled my eyes in response, "I think you're more excited than I am."

It was Aric's turn to roll his eyes. "That's because you're never excited about anything."

"Ask me if I care," I reply as I turn to walk towards the cafeteria.

Following me, Aric said, "you never care. Your nay-say way of life simply won't allow you to care."

"You make me sound heartless," I reply sarcastically.

Aric gasps sarcastically, "You? Heartless? Unheard of!"

I rolled my eyes as I walked into the lunch line, "Your sarcasm wounds me deeply."

Aric gives me a look as he grabs a pudding cup. "Now when you say that, I don't know what to think anymore," he says seriously.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed a plate of pasta and headed towards the checkout line.

"Hey, Deirdre," a fake, cherry voice said. I looked up from my tray to see Logan and Penny standing in front of me. I rolled my eyes and Aric threw his arm over my shoulder. From the corner of my eye I saw Logan stiffen.

"How nice to see you," Aric replied sarcastically.

Penny glares but quickly changes her expression to display a fake, overdone smile. "Funny as always, Aric," Penny gritted through her teeth.

I raised an eyebrow, fully looking at her now. Since Logan was right behind her, I saw the brief realization in his eyes. He heard it, he actually noticed.

"So what do you want this time?" Aric asked, "You wanna tell Deirdre how you think she's ugly, again?"

"Again?" Logan echoed, his voice wavering.

"Aric, I don't know why you're always lying," Penny replied.

"Gee," I replied sarcastically, "If only we could say the same about you."

"Oh wait," Aric finished for me, we finish our overdramatic, sarcastic scene by staring at each other, wide eyed and in shock as if we just had an epiphany.

Penny scowled at us and then turned go look at her... boyfriend. "Are you just going to let them say that about me?"

"But they didn't say anything," Logan started as he paid for his food.

"Yet," Aric and I interrupted.

"Yes they did," Penny said, "They're calling me a liar."

"Hey, hey," I said after paying and walking into the cafeteria, "I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you."

Penny looks at me in disbelief and Logan tries to cover his laugh with his cough.

"You're such a bitch, Deirdre," Penny sneers.

I give her a hard look, "Takes one to know one."

"Girls," Logan said, wrapping his arm around Penny, "calm down."