Deirdre - Chapter Two

"So don't fall in love there's just too much to lose,"

I walked around in the forest until it was dark. Me still being a fledgling, I couldn't see anything right now unless it was a foot in front of me.

"Fuck," I swore as I stumbled over a tree root. I sighed and leaned against the tree that tripped me. I've been out here for an hour and I don't know the woods well enough to get out. My mother is going to kill me.

I got up and started walking again. Instead of walking into a tree, I walked into something else. It was had like a tree, that's for sure, but an arm reached out and grabbed me, right before I fell. And that's when I felt it, the sparks and the flames. This person was my mate.

I planted my feet on the ground and he down so I was standing again. My hand was on his chest and I could feel his erratic heartbeat under it. With his free hand, he cupped my face and brought me into a kiss. I froze. I've never kissed a guy before. My body stiffened and he pulled away from me.

My mate swore, "I knew it was you."

I froze, pulling away from him. I knew that voice. I could barely see the outline of his face but I knew it was him. "Logan?" I just kissed Logan. Wait, Logan was my mate? I just kissed Logan, who is my mate.

"We should get going."

"Why are you here? And what do you mean you knew?"

"Deirdre, let's go." He walked a few steps before noticing that I wasn't following me. He grabbed my arm and I pulled it out of his grasp, flames burned on my skin from the absence of his touch. "Deirdre."

"What do you mean 'you knew'?" I repeated.

"Deirdre your mother is looking for you."

"Answer the question."

"Deirdre."

"Answer the question, Logan," I growled.

"I had a feeling it could be you, but you're a half-breed, Deirdre, and I thought maybe it was a fluke."

"You thought it was a fluke? And you didn't confront me about it?"

"It's not like you let me anywhere near you," he defended.

I scoffed, "and do you really blame me? You were all over girls. You pranced around school like some kind of player and broke hearts like glass."

"What would be the point in confronting you then?" Logan asked. "It's pretty obvious you already hate me."

"It's not like you gave me any reason to like you."

This made him pause. His mouth pulled into a tight line, his eyebrows pulled together as well. "Why do you hate me so much? How can someone so little have so much hate?"

I rolled my eyes and snorted, walking past him only to have him catch my arm. "Don't touch me," I said, yanking my arm away from him. The fire in his touch almost melted me, it made me want to cave in and have him hold me. But no, I couldn't do that. No, I was mad at him.

His face looked hurt for a second before going into a state of indifference. "Then don't walk away from me."

"People were waiting on your decision about your mate, and you were just going to choose Penny."

"Deirdre," Logan repeated.

I shook my head, "no, I can't, I." Stumbling over my words I walked backwards, away from him.

"It's not like that," he replied, obviously following my train of thought.

"Then what was it like?" I asked, backing into a tree before side stepping around it. "You made it very clear who you want."

"I just didn't want to hurt her," Logan said, slowly walking towards me, "She's a nice girl-"

I scoffed before I could stop it from coming out. Though I didn't try that hard to be honest. What was I thinking; of course he would buy her nice girl act.

Logan's face grew hard. "What are you trying to imply?"

"I swear to god some of you are blind," I replied, "She lives up to her name."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" he growled, it took me a moment to comprehend how close he was to me. Almost touching, I could feel the growl ricochet off of him.

"She's two faced."

"What?" I looked at him and there was pure shock on his face before it was replaced with a hard look. "Why would you lie like that?"

I looked at him in disbelief. "Why would I lie about something like that?" I asked incredulously.

"Maybe you're just jealous."

"Jealous?" I repeated.

"Yeah," Logan replied. "You're just upset that I like her more than I like you."

I shoved him away from me and started walking again. "How do you even fit your ego through the door?"

"Excuse me?"

"Not everything is about you," I sneered, his footsteps told me he was following me. "You couldn't even stop once to even consider that I might be right."

I saw the edge of the forest and started to speed up, Logan calling my name from behind me.

"You know what?" I asked, turning around to face him. He stopped a few feet away from me, waiting to hear what I had to say. "It's pretty obvious how this is going to end. So how about this, you forget this ever happened. I'm a half-breed so everything is just a fluke. And at the end of the day you can play house with Penny."

I turned as fast as I could and ran home with my tail between my legs. Though I did see the flash of hurt in his face, I wonder if he saw the same in mine. As I ran down the street I heard him call after me. I concentrated on the patter of my feet as they hit the ground.

When I got home, I sat down on the front porch. I can't believe I did that. Why did I do that?

---

LOOK AT THE SIDE BANNER. JULIE MADE IT FOR ME :D

This story will have a collection of amazing banners by amazing people.