13

After finding big John's compass we all slowly disburse and head to our own houses. Just as everyone leaves I notice John B walking up to the front porch of the chateau,

"JB?"

He simply hums in response.

"Um, can I stay again? I'd rather not deal with my mom tonight after what all happened today, you know."

John B just scoffed before turning to look at me,

"Ads you know you're always welcome here. You never have to ask."

I let out a breath of relief seeing John B's open arms and jump into them, giving him a big hug. Letting go I step into the house with guilt pulling at my heart a little more each day.

Walking into JJ and I's room I pull on one of his hoodies and crawl into bed wishing he was there with me.

I wake up to the familiar sound of JJ's laugh and John B groaning in distaste. I slowly climb out of bed walking into the living room to see John B shoving JJ off the pull out couch and JJ hitting on the floor with a thud.

JJ just chuckles, standing up to look at me,

"Good morning Ads," he says grinning. I give him a small wave before walking to the bathroom.

Not bothering to shut the door I slowly peel off the bandage covering my arm to check my peeling pink skin to notice it looking more purple and tender today.

As I lightly wiped it with a wet cloth JJ walks In claiming he needs a shower but decides to help me wrap up my arm first,

"Damn, you really should see a doctor about this though. It's definitely not getting better." JJ grumbles. As he takes a shower I join John B in the dining room to eat some breakfast seeing that he only has moldy bread and some stale cereal.

I sign deciding to make plans to visit Heyward and get some groceries for John B later.

Once JJ finished with his shower we all jumped into the van and headed to Mrs. Lana's.

I didn't want to disturb her after what happened with Scooter but John B insisted that he needed to know why the compass was in Scooter's boat and that I needed to tag along to help talk with her.

I tune back into JJ and John B's conversation to hear them talking about Kie,

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara."

John B just sighs in response,

"She clearly likes you. She's like, "Oh, John B." JJ continues teasing,

"Is that what she does?" John B sarcastically asks,

"She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you."

I clear my throat deciding to join in on the conversation,

"A kiss on the cheek JJ."

"Exactly. It's not like we were makin' out. Besides you and Ads kiss on the cheek all the time." John B agrees.

JJ groans, giving me a quick glance as my cheeks heat up, turning bright pink,

"Low-hanging fruit, bro. Don't pretend you don't notice. I see it in your eyes." JJ continues after a small moment of silence.

"You're like, "I kinda like that," and you start blushing."

John B raises an eyebrow,

"I blush?" JJ nods looking out the window,

"Yeah."

John B just chuckles looking at me through the rearview mirror,

"Hopefully I don't blush as much as you do around Adeline."

JJ gives him a look of disbelief as he stutters on his words. After clearing his throat a few times he attempts at subject change as he grabs big John's compass off the dashboard,

"I gotta admit, your father's compass in Scooter's boat, that's freaky."

John B quickly grabbed the compass from JJ's hands,

"Yeah. That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out."

I sign resting my chin in my hands,

"Yes, why wouldn't she want to talk to us right after her husband died?" JJ chuckles at my dramatics as John B replies,

"That's why we need you. You know her more than we do, so she'll probably talk to you more."

I huff, shaking my head without verbally responding and turn to look out the window.

Shortly after we arrive at Mrs. Lana's bright pink hippie house. Covered with rainbows and clouds I admire the boldness as I always do when visiting.

"Know what this house looks like? Whoever lives here smokes too much weed." JJ comments.

I let out a small snort taking a glance at him,

"Maybe you should move in," I mumble. 

He rolls his eyes at my comment, a smile still on his face. I smile back at him till all smiles disappear upon hearing yells and clattering inside the house. I make a move towards the front of the house before being pulled back by JJ. I mumble multiple let me go's trying to get out of his grip as John B leads us towards the closest window that we crouch under.

"We need to be in there!" I claim.

JJ huffs,

"You won't do any good to help us talk to her if you're dead." I roll my eyes at him before shoving his arms off from being around me.

"Still think we should stay?" JJ asks as John B and I quickly shush him to try and hear what the people were saying to Lana.

"Let's get the hell outta here, man." we hear one of the men yell.

"Is that paint?" JJ asks,

"Shut up, shut up" I mumbled.

We heard loud footsteps as the men finally left the house. I gasped seeing the men from the marsh as JJ voices my thoughts,

"Dude, those were the guys that shot at us."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

kinda short but it's 2:11 am :(

the votes were 50/50 last I checked for a happy or sad ending so it's still undecided !

hope you all are well !

:)