Saying Grace III

November 24th, 1929

It was around nine thirty in the morning when Steve woke up from his long sleep the day after Thanksgiving. The meal had been a pleasant one, sharing food amongst one another and such. He fell asleep watching TV with his mother and uncle shortly after. His eyes seemed to be as heavy as lead. The nine year old couldn't seem to keep them open. Steve sniffled a little, a pleasant aroma filling his sense of smell. His ears then registered the sound of something sizzling on the stove top, most likely in a frying pan. Scrambled eggs...with bacon...

Steve smiled sleepily. His mother was making him is favorite breakfast meal. Tiredly, he walked slowly out of his dark bedroom and down the hall, passing his mother in the kitchen and sitting at the small kitchen table.

Sarah noticed her son walk past her out of the corner of her eye (more like drag himself past her.) as she stirred the frying scrambled eggs around in the metal pan. "Morning, Sleepyhead!" She sang pleasantly. The mother's attention was back on the cooking food.

Steve groaned in response as he propped himself up into one of the wooden chairs and then raised a sluggish hand to one of his sleepy eyes. The boy's mother stared at him affectionately for a moment before looking down at the sizzling food. The meal was done cooking.

"What time is it?" the little boy groaned in his seat, still rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Sarah was now carrying over a small plate with scrambled eggs and bacon on it for her son. Her other hand held a bigger plate for herself with a bigger serving of food on it.

Then, to Sarah's surprise, the phone began to ring. She turned her head, staring at the loud object mounted on the wall for a brief moment before setting the plates with their breakfasts on them and briskly making the four or five step journey towards the telephone.

Ms. Rogers picked up the phone. "H-Hello?"

"Hi, Sarah?"

Brown eyes widened in surprise. "Al-Alfred?" The boy at the table immediately froze upon hearing the name being uttered. The scrambled eggs were slowly falling out of his mouth and back onto the plate.

Alfred chuckled a bit nervously on the other end of the line. "Lovely morning outside, huh?"

Sarah blinked a couple of times before turning to look outside the window by the kitchen table. "W-Why, yes, it is."

"I was wondering."

"...Wondering, what, exactly?"

"Since it's such a beautiful day outside, would you and Steve like to meet up with me at Central Park?"

There was a pause. "U-Uhh. I don't know. I mean, I have work tonight, a-and..."

"It's fine! I'll baby sit for you!"

"You...you will?"