CHAPTER 14

"Renz, Don Lorenzo asked me to bring her home. Ms. Garcia is here because of your grandfather's wishes. Your grandfather has prearranged this," the lawyer patiently explained.

I didn't realize Don Isong was going to summon me home with the help of his lawyer. He must have known I'd never willingly come back otherwise.

"I didn't ask for this," I said, willing my voice not to sound defensive at all.

"Like you didn't ask to be my grandfather's ward, of course," he shot back.

Wala pang isang oras mula nang bumalik ako sa Aguadulce at nagsimula na ang laban.

Inasahan ko 'to. Alam ko na ganito ang magiging reaksyon niya sa presensya ko. Pero hindi ibig sabihin hindi ako nasasaktan.

"Mr. Peñalver, Ms. Garcia, please. Let's just discuss what Don Lorenzo stipulated in his last will and testament." I was grateful that Atty. Guillen was here as buffer but it was embarrassing as well. Ilang insulto pa kaya ang matatanggap ko sa harap niya?

"Simulan 'nyo na, attorney. Marami pa akong aasikasuhin," he said impatiently.

She took some papers from her briefcase and put on her eyeglasses before facing us again.

Bigla na lang bumukas ang pintuan ng library at pumasok ang isang magandang babae na siguro ay kasing-edad ni Attorney. She looked sophisticated; her eyes betrayed her great beauty when she was much younger and she had preserved it rather well. Valerie, a portrait photographer, would delight to take her photo.

"Bakit kayo nagsimula na wala ako?" Of course, it was Cosette Penalver— Renz's mother.

"Ma, we've discussed this already. Hindi ka kailangan," her son sighed, but told her straight out.

"Oh, I'm sure Attorney doesn't mind. Hindi ba, Diana?"

Atty. Guillen only looked at her.

"Good morning Ma'am." I extended a hand but of course she wouldn't take it. She has never liked me and I didn't think she had change her opinion.

"Magsimula na po tayo, Attorney," Renz said as his mother glared at me. I shrugged instead.

"To start, Don Lorenzo Peñalver I has left the ownership of the plantation and the mansion to the both of you: Lorenzo Divinagracia Peñalver III and Lena Olivia Andrada Garcia." There was a cry of outrage immediately.

"Ano'ng karapatan ng babaeng ito sa ancestral house ng mga Peñalver, at pati sa Chocolateria?" Nanlilisik ang mata ni Tita Cosette habang nakatingin sa'kin.

I closed my eyes to block out the anxieties and stress that were starting to overwhelm me.

"Ma! Kung hindi ka kakalma, lumabas ka na muna." Tumayo si Renz at nilabas nang tuluyan ang Mama niya dahil alam niyang imposible pang magpatuloy kami habang nandito si Tita Cosette.

"I'm sorry. Please go on, Attorney."

"He left bequests for his employees- mas malaki para sa matatagal nang naninilbihan sa plantasyon pati na rin ang mga rito sa mansyon, pero lahat may matatanggap. Your mother, Mrs. Cosette Divinagracia Peñalver will receive an allowance for the rest of her life granted that she never remarries. I don't know if the amount is up to your mother's standards but it's enough to keep her comfortable."

She had been nothing but professional but the façade slipped a little at this point. Looks like she and Tita Cosette have history between them. "Donations will be given to a few orphanages in Panay but the rest of his liquid assets have been divided evenly among the two of you."

"I'm not interested." That's really all I came for anyway— to refuse whatever Don Isong left me. I came here to bury Don Isong and the past we both shared. 'Yon lang talaga.

Atty. Guillen gave me a tight smile. "He has foreseen that, Lena. He knows you well. He specifically stipulated that no one will get their inheritance until after a year..." I held my breath, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"At sa loob ng isang taon na 'yon, kailangan mong manirahan dito sa mansyon kasama ang kaniyang apo."

"Damn it," Renz said in a low voice.

"What? Attorney, hindi puwede 'to!" I said in distress.

"Unless you do as he asked, none of his heirs including the employees will get anything. The whole estate will be liquidated. Proceeds will be divided among cacao plantations all over the Philippines and believe me, those hacienderos do not need more money. Lena, please think about all the workers who have given all their lives in building the Peñalver legacy. 'Wag mo sanang isaalang-alang ang kabuhayan ng marami sa mga taga-Aguadulce. Think about Don Isong before you make any decision." Ilang sandali niya akong tinitigan at hinawakan ang mga kamay ko.

Don Isong had chosen his ammunition carefully and wisely. Obviously, the person he tasked to carry out his wishes knows how to use those weapons too.

🌿

By the time the assembly got to the cemetery, it had started to drizzle. Pinili ko ang maglakad sa likod ng mag-inang Renz at Cosette Peñalver. Magkasabay kami ni Atty. Guillen at ni Manang Sol. Dalawang taon na mula nang pumanaw si Nang Bolet kaya si Nang Sol na ang mayordoma.

When the last shovel of dirt was put in place, people started leaving to go back to the mansion. Doon ay may pagkain na inihanda para sa mga nagkumpanyar. (Kumpanyar- the tradition of going with the family to bury their dead; includes attending the funeral mass, funeral procession)

Kung tama ang pagkaka-alala ko sa kinagawian ng mga taga-Aguadulce, empanada at mainit na tsokolate ang pameryenda. I'm sure the Peñalver also have caterers for those who will stay until dinner. Ganoon ang tradisyon.

I told Attorney Guillen and Nang Sol to go back without me. I want to say goodbye alone to Don Isong even though I'm obviously too late.

Pinikit ko ang aking mga mata at nag-alay ng panalangin para sa kaniya. Unti-unti ay lumakas ang ambon pero nanatili ako para tapusin ang aking panalangin. Hindi ko rin mapigilan ang alalahanin ang unang dating namin ni Itay at kung paano naging mabait ang pagtanggap ni Don Isong sa amin.

I knew I was getting wet- the black long-sleeved Dior dress I wore was getting drenched. I had tied my hair in a half up do and tendrils of loose curls were already getting undone because of the humidity, when I suddenly felt the rain stop beating on me.

Pagkabukas ko ng aking mga mata ay nakasukob na ako sa ilalim ng isang itim na payong— si Renz ang may hawak nito. I shivered a little because of his nearness, hoping he didn't notice.