Chapter Ten : We All Need Each Other

WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER
•••

" You may be struggling alone right now, but not for long trust me. Somehow, somewhere, someday, you will meet the one to journey through life with. - AJIE-MIT "
IG|@motivate_inspire_transform
•••

I'm homesick. I can't believe it has to be today of all days, I was looking forward to asking Jeff about the competition. It's that week of the month again. I usually lie in bed all day, every first day of my monthly circle. I don't know why, but the excessive pain just makes it hard for me to move. My mom always starts her business late and closes very early every time it starts.

I just toss around in bed, eat and grumble through the five minutes of sleep I manage to get. I try picking up ACHIEVERS, so I could pass time while reading it, but the pain wouldn't just let me.

This month, I feel the pain is even lesser, last month I consumed a lot of sugar the day before it started, and I visited hell that day. Kelechi had told me that, consuming too many sugary items makes one's menses more painful than they normally should be. When I was still friends with Felicia she had told me her menses don't give her so much trouble. She doesn't feel too much pain, and she could still go about her normal daily activities. The pain she feels is very mild and bearable.

I will pay any amount to have just one month like that. Females who have pain-free mensuration don't know how much God loves them.

Mom comes in to check on me. I hate taking drugs. I can still try to manage the liquid, but the tablet drugs, yulk, I just can't deal. She had given me drugs to relieve me of the pain before she left to set up her stand, and she came back to confirm if I have taken them. Even though I hate drugs, not taking them is just me punishing myself even more. I'm the one who needs it to get better after all.

After confirming that I had taken the drugs, she goes out again. I must say, my mom's business being just in front of the house, has its perks too. The drugs help me ease the pain a little, at least now I can sleep longer than five minutes. I just wrap myself up in one of my Mom's old wrappers. After sleeping for a while, I woke up feeling very weak. I don't even have the appetite for any type of food. I decide to go outside to the veranda to stretch out my body a little.

Sitting on the tiny stool on the veranda, I spot one of Mr. Demola's daughters. "Fumi! Fumi!" I scream out to the little girl playing in the compound. "Yes, aunty." She says as she runs towards me, abandoning her game. One thing I will give Mr. Demola credit for is the fact that he instilled good manners in his daughters.

" You fit tell me wetin happen yesterday." Mr. Demola's daughters can only speak pidgin, they don't understand English that well too.

"I no know sef say you go dey interested in wetin happen." Little Fumi says, giving me a sad look.

"Wetin you mean?"

"Yesterday, I see you when come back from school. You just stand small, then you waka go inside."

"Wetin again I suppose to do?"

" Nothing o aunty. No, be say I expect you make you for fit do anything. The only thing wey dey there be say, the kind look wey been dey ur face, e no be like the face of person wey even dey concerned. I know say we no dey important to you, but at least, na one compound all of us still dey live."

"Fumi! Na me you dey follow talk o." I getting a little bit pissed off, by the tone the little girl is using on me.

"Aunty no vex, na just say, you be one of the few young people wey I like and respect for this yard. E pain me to say, you no even care about us."