Chapter Thirteen : We Loose To Gain

WE LOSE TO GAIN

•••

" If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with. - Michael Jackson's"

Rapid Quotes App

•••

I wake up to a call, it's from Kelechi. He called to ask after me and to also let me know that he will be going for his first shoot for modeling today. We talk for an additional five minutes before he finally hangs up.

I walk to the kitchen to boil some water, I feel really cold, so cold I can say am sick. As I stand in the kitchen, waiting for my water to boil, my mind travels back in time to the public confession I made yesterday. My mind goes into the future, I try to picture my first encounter with Kelechi when he returns. My mind then settles in on the present, I honestly don't understand what is going on. Judging from how he didn't say anything about it on the phone both last night and this morning, I guess he just wants us to act as nothing if happened

My water is now at the temperature I want. I quickly turn off the stove and I head straight into the bathroom.

I'm outside waiting for my supposed ride, but after about seven minutes it doesn't show up. I'm not sad though, with life, since we are to expect anything, we need to be prepared for anything. I'm glad I already booked a ride with my legedisbenz. I started preparing for school today very early, so that just in case a scenario like this comes up, even if I walk, I still won't be late.

Almost at the beginning of my street, just before I take a turn, I sight Jeff's car, coming from afar. I stand, waiting for the car to get to where I am, immediately it gets to me, I hop in and then we ride to school.

~~~

Coming down from Jeff's car, I spot Temi. I scream her name and then I signal for her to stop. Just before taking my first step toward her, a soft yet firm hand holds me back. "Don't tell her about what I said to you in the car yesterday. 'The fact that I like her', is something I want to tell her myself. Please." He says with pleading eyes. I just smile and then I nod my head in affirmation. I give him the peace sign and then I run towards already waiting for Temi.

"Temitope Adebayo! What is going on with us."

I have not fully accepted the fact that I am no longer friends with Temi. I need my girlfriend back.

"Where did it all go wrong? How on earth did we fall apart?"

I need answers, an explanation, or even an excuse. I just want to be certain my decision will be one I make and have no regrets in the long run.

Temi stands still, looks at me, and just smiles. Her melanin in this all-white uniform makes her glow even more. Should I mention her handmade sneakers, like it is handmade, from the start to the finish? Her dad had instructed a footwear company in the Bahamas to make it for her, and just her on her last birthday. So, it's just one pair in the whole world.

" Do you know we're almost late for the first period? How about we talk during lunch break."

Who I am to say no? I didn't see her complying so easily. It feels like we are friends again already. I turn to wave goodbye to Jeff who I know is watching us or rather, watching Temi the whole time.

After first period Felicia and her clique walk up to me. "So...girl, now that your little hero, Kelechi is no longer here to look out for you, who's going to protect your sorry ass." She says in a tone that sounds like that of a person that cares. "Just because you have the richest and hottest guy in school as your friend, you feel you can do whatever...whenever, right!" Now she speaks in a tone that depicts her true emotions, anger, and fury. "Can you imagine, Dream footwear called my manager to inform her that they will not be renewing their contract with me this year? Saying that they found a new and supposed better model for the company. I didn't feel so pissed because I felt like maybe it was a model from Chicago or Seoul, or maybe even Manila. Then, I find out that it was a model from Nigeria, I still didn't get pissed, I just thought maybe it was, Ixora or Tiffany because I mean, they are the only two female teen models better than me in the country." The pitch of her voice gets higher. "This morning, my manager called to inform me that it's a girl at our school, a friend of Kelechi. Bang! I know it can't be anyone else than little miss red here."