10. At Least Buy Me Dinner First

Start from the beginning

Scarlett held her hands up in defense. She followed him down the hallway to the other side of the landing, which had three rooms.

"You can take this room," he said, opening the door to the room which sat at the end of the landing, tucked into the corner, "There's a TV in here and an en-suite bathroom."

Scarlett stepped into her new room. It was a lovely guest room, which was decorated in earthy tones. There was a large, cozy looking bed, a spacious closet, a bathroom that seemed luxurious and a desk and vanity in addition to the TV.

Standing near Ace at the threshold to the room, she smiled at him. "It's beautiful."

"Great," Ace set her bag on the floor near the desk and stepped out of the room. "I'm going to freshen up. Feel free to wander into the kitchen, grab a snack. I'll be back."

Ace disappeared, leaving Scarlett feeling rather strange to be standing in some random man's house.

Since she had already showered and changed, she wandered back downstairs and into the kitchen, as her hunger pangs called her.

Deciding that the least she could do was make dinner, Scarlett pulled out supplies and tools from the various cupboards in the kitchen and set to work.

Humming softly to herself, she peeled and chopped some potatoes before throwing them into a pan to boil and began grating a block of cheese.

She was halfway through mashing the boiled potatoes, when she was interrupted.

"Ambrose, what are you doing?"

Ace walked into the kitchen, wearing a pair of grey track pants and a loose-fitting white Henley Y-neck t-shirt with the sleeves pushed up to his elbow. It was the most casually dressed Scarlett had ever seen him. The strong muscles that were only hinted at underneath his suits were more than apparent. The baggy t-shirt hung off his broad shoulders, not giving much away, but showing enough to know that Ace spent time in the gym.

Scarlett held the masher in her hand, her hair held off her face with the help of a bandana. "Making dinner?" She posed it almost as a question.

Ace glanced at her and chuckled. "For future reference, Ambrose," he walked over to the oven, "Belinda makes me dinner and keeps it in the oven." He opened the oven door to reveal a casserole dish that had a baked pasta.

Scarlett's shoulders dropped. "Oh. I didn't know."

Ace shut the oven with a smile. "Clearly. Did you think I come home and fend for myself every day?"

Scarlett stuck the masher back into the pot. "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that Mr. Billionaire doesn't need to cook for himself and doesn't know what it's like to be a normal person."

Ace regarded her. "Alright, Ambrose," he shrugged, "Let's have a normal person Friday night, shall we?" He walked over to her and leaned against the counter, crossing his arms over his chest, making his biceps bulge. "What does a normal Friday look like?"

Scarlett sighed. "Well, normal people tend to go out and party on Friday night, I guess."

"Not you?"

"Sometimes, Danielle, my neighbour, and I order in take-out and watch whatever in on TV and just fall asleep on the couch on Fridays," she told him, "When she's not around, I visit my friend, Grace and have dinner with her, or make myself some food and watch a random Hallmark movie."

Ace took in all of this information.

"What do you do on Fridays?" Scarlett asked.

Ace shrugged. "Eat whatever Belinda made for me," he thought, "And maybe, watch a random Hallmark movie."