Chapter 5-Sacrifice

Haru sat quietly and stared at his sketchbook, sneakily eyeing the blond boy who's just joined Jean every once in a while, one that he remembered, one that had eyes of different colors, Ginji. He sat next to him, face rested on his hand with a smile spreading from ear to ear. Next to the newcomer, Loi stared intensely at him disgruntledly, frustrated as another rival has came just as he was having his hope up about Quetz leaving.

- Nice drawing. - The blond snickered warmly.

- Th-thanks...I guess? - Haru replied with a stuttered, eyes dashing from Ginji back to his sketchbook nervously.

The white haired boy flinched at the giggled, after the stunt he pulled yesterday. Like Lucious and the rest of the people here, Ginji acted like he's known Haru for a long time, and that's not entirely false. The blond was Haru's and his twin's caretaker, he saw him in the vision that Quetz's shown him, yet even after all these years, Ginji seemed...unchanged, untouched by the passage of time. The white haired boy turned his attention to his sketchbook again, trying to keep his mind from wandering again, less he became suspicious to Ginji.

It's been a while since Haru had anytime to sketch and scribble into his sketchbook, the hardships and dangers of the wilderness made sure of that. But now, surrounded by his loved ones and safely secured in stable home, the boy could finally relax a bit to add new discoveries into his collection. Haru looked around, bedazzled by the intricate designs around him now that he's allowed to look at them closely. There were runes everywhere, some were just there for decorative purposes, but some were carved, or painted onto specific places and in distinctive, repeating yet random patterns, overlapping circles with strange extensions or markings surrounding them. Some of them were familiar, Haru recognized them as he ran his fingers across the smooth, runes-covered surface of the table, miniature versions of the markings he saw in the forest ruins.

- Haru, - Mitsuki's hand resting on his made the white haired boy snap out of his string of thought, he looked up with his surprised violet eyes, meeting with her deep brown ones. - are you feeling well? You're looking a little pale.

- I-I'm fine. - The boy smiled, turning his gaze back to the sketchbook, then to Ginji, who's now joined Jean in admiring the trees in the courtyard. - It's just that...it's too much to take in...all of this. And these people, they keep calling me "Lord", what does that even mean?

- Some rude, ill-meaning nickname, no doubt. - Loi rumbled, hiding the lower half of his face in his folded arms as he rested his upper body on the table, eyes still staring at Ginji suspiciously.

- I don't think so. - Mitsuki retorted, warningly glared at the tanned boy, before rubbing Haru's bandaged hand. - I think it's their way to show respect to you, you're Keto-san's important guest, after all.

- Then what does that make us? - Loi hissed, hiding the rest of his face in his arms.

The girl was about to protest, but something stopped her words right at the tip of her tongue. Her brother spoke true, they were treated well compared to the other villagers, but that's just because they were close and treated Haru well, who's to say that the moment Quetz's had his full grip of the boy, they wouldn't be herded back to the rest of their kind? Her concerns must have shown on her face, as she felt Haru's hand resting on her, burnt and bandaged yet filled with that warmth and reassuring that she didn't know she needed until now. His eyes said the same, violet orbs glimmering with confidence and reluctant bravery, so different from the usual scared, nervous and shy look, so overwhelming to the point of tears when they're still in the village. Mitsuki let out a small sigh, not of concern but of relief, before smiling warmly and gently caressing her little brother's wounded hands, checking if they needed anything. It's strange, surrounded by all these strangers with strange powers that can overwhelm even the strongest of her kin, yet she found security and safety in the most unlikely of places, of people. She found hope and comfort in her frail, nervous wrecked and traumatized brother, someone whom she's always have to offer comfort to.