What is That Look For?

Start from the beginning

"And Kyo? Surely you've got nothing better to do. You should tag along with them." The cat remained silent, glaring down at the ground until it was time for the four to make their way to school.

- - -

Katsumi ducked into the nearest empty classroom, sliding down the wall as she breathed through the aching pain that throbbed against her ribs. She clenched her fist, panting as the pain made her body break out in a feverish sweat. Katsumi pressed a hand to her forehead, gritting her teeth through the pain. The classroom door slid open, then closed.

"Occupied," she panted hoping the student would take the hint and leave. She didn't bother looking up to see who had come, she was in too much pain to care.

"I knew you weren't ready to come back to school," the familiar comforting voice of the boy she loved scolded her. She looked up, meeting the concerned eyes of Yuki.

"I can't stand it," she whimpered.

"Can't stand what?" Yuki asked, sitting down on the floor next to her and tugged her gently into his arms.

"Staying home," she admitted, "it just tortures me more."

"I'm guessing you mean Akito, don't you?" He asked, brushing her sweaty bangs away from her face.

"Yes, I do. Every time I close my eyes, and can see his vicious eyes, and twisted grin. I couldn't stand it, I'd rather be in pain and distracted by school- then stay at home, and see his face every time I close my eyes. At least when I'm at school I can be with you." Katsumi declared, reaching up to press a hand to his cheek. Yuki smiled down at her, leaning into her touch and closing his eyes.

"Alright, I understand. But please don't push yourself so hard, I can't bare to see you hurt again." He whispered, leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead.

"Yuki?" Katsumi called, looking up at him with concern wavering in her eyes.

"Is what we're doing bad? Should we tell the adults?" They both fell silent, both knowing the answer as well as the next- but if they wanted to be together, without the pain, without the suffering... Then this was what they had to do, this was what as best for them.

"I just feel bad keep it from mein bruder, I'm finally happy and I can't express the reason for my joy with him. I feel like I'm failing him as a sister." She finally said, staring down at their intertwined fingers.

"You can tell Momiji, Katsumi. I think there are a few people we can trust with this secret, and it would be those of us who attend our school." Katsumi perks up, her bunny ears popping from excitement.

"We can!" She chirps, her eyes wide. Yuki found himself chuckling at her excitement, a smile fighting its way onto his face.

"Yeah, I think we can trust them." He agrees, poking her nose.

"Haru, Momo, Kyon-Kyon, and Tohru?!" He nods, but Katsumi suddenly fell silent, a strange look crossing her face.

"What? What is that look for?" Yuki questioned, making her tilt her head to the side.

"Well, I was just thinking. We admitted our feelings to each other, but... What are we?" She asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

"Well... We're..." Yuki suddenly laughed, realizing how the two had become item without the verbal agreement.