42: Lost and Found

Start from the beginning

"Syndi, how much time do we have before the torpedo reaches its target?", Nick asked.

"At the torpedo's current speed, 45 seconds.", the A.I. answered quickly before continuing her previous remarks, "I think those 'bubbles' may be our way out of this."

As the M.A.N.T.A. completed its turn Nick got a good look at the oncoming fleet, and just as he had suspected, they were the same spinning star shaped ships that Eugene had been piloting.

"I hope they realize we're on their side.", Nick stated.

"Sheppard, are you listening?", Syndi asked with growing frustration.

The cluster of purple and pink spinning ships blasted past the M.A.N.T.A. and scattered in all directions.

Nick was surprised that at this point none of the ships had fired at the M.A.N.T.A. or the torpedo.

"I've got a new plan.", Syndi stated no longer looking for Nick's approval. "I know you said you didn't need one -- but you need one."

As Nick pulled behind the torpedo he opened the weapons targeting system. As Nick's focus turned to getting a lock on the torpedo, the other craft were strategically maneuvering into positions along side the M.A.N.T.A., as if they were flying in formation.

Just as the targeting computer acquired a lock on the torpedo, a bright light appeared in front of the M.A.N.T.A. just adjacent to it's current course.

"Seriously?!", Nick exclaimed. "Now they're going to start shooting?"

A moment later the light was engulfed by a large bubble larger than the M.A.N.T.A. and Nick watched as one of the star fighter craft flew directly into the bubble and disappeared as the bubble collapsed and was replaced by a bright flash of light.

"Holy s...", Nick exclaimed but statement was interrupted by Syndi.

"They're not shooting.", Syndi asserted firmly. "That's what I've been trying to tell you. They're teleporting. It's a mode of transportation, not a weapon. It's how the drone instantly appeared so far inside Deep Blue's sonar range. It's how these ships just flashed into place in front of us. Sheppard, in the rift, they weren't trying to shoot you, they were trying to catch you."

Nick had never seen Syndi more animated and emphatic about something before, even when she was performing Shakespeare.

"Eugene wasn't trying to kill himself before he crashed into the station, he was just trying to go home."

A second bubble opened ahead and for a second time one of the spinning craft flew into the bubble and disappeared in a bright flash.

"So, new plan Sheppard.", Syndi said calmer but no less assertive, "Shoot that torpedo and fly into one of those bubbles, now."

"Even if you're right," Nick replied. "We don't know where that would take us."

Syndi gave Nick the most "how-dumb-could-you-be" look imaginable and asked, "So you'd rather stay here with the exploding nuke?"

"Point taken.", Nick replied as several more bubbles opened ahead.

With the torpedo locked in, Nick squeezed the trigger and launched two small torpedoes of his own from the wings of the M.A.N.T.A. As the projectiles made their way toward their shared target, Nick altered the course of the M.A.N.T.A. and headed straight for a nearby bubble.

Other large bubbles dotted the path ahead as the other star ships prepared their own escape.

"Hang on to something.", Nick said as the M.A.N.T.A. collided and penetrated the enormous bubble.