41: Saving the World

Start from the beginning

What Nick didn't expect was the immense sonar contact they saw pulling away from the station and heading toward the bottom. Something that size could only be one thing, and Nick wanted a closer look.

A moment later the M.A.N.T.A. shot out of the debris cloud and into open water leaving two wispy trails of muck spiraling behind the ship's twin turbines.

As Nick had suspected, there, a short distance ahead of them, was the large, tear drop shaped ship that Nick hoped was taking Eugene home. Nick turned the M.A.N.T.A. toward the ship and within seconds was right on top of it. Nick performed a barrel roll over the ship to inspect any damage that may have occurred from the avalanche.

Nick saw numerous scars and gouges in the rounded dome of the craft. Blue electrical arcs leapt intermittently across the damaged areas. But, all-in-all the craft seemed to be fully operational.

"Yeah, it may have left a mark, but honestly, they're in much better shape than I thought they would be after deflecting a mountain."

Nick gave a quick one-handed salute toward the craft, "So long Eugene."

"Syndi, plot an intercept course for that torpedo.", Nick ordered.

"Yes Lieutenant Commander."

Nick aimed the M.A.N.T.A. at the newly projected waypoint on the holodisplay and threw the throttle to full. The twin engines whined as they spun up to their max velocity pressing Nick back against the pilot's seat.

With the course and throttle set Nick got back to the issue of getting Syndi downloaded to the ship.

"Syndi, status report.", Nick began but his specific request was unclear.

"What would you like a status on?", Syndi asked.

"You."

"I'm fine.", Syndi answered.

"No, you're not fine.", Nick exclaimed. "How much of you is in the M.A.N.T.A.?"

"32.3% of my programming has been downloaded to the M.A.N.T.A.", Syndi reported.

"How much time before the water hits the servers?"

"The water will reach my server in 6 minutes and 13 seconds."

"That's not enough time."

"No.", Syndi replied with a bit of regret. "It's not. Only 48% of my programming will be on the M.A.N.T.A. when I go offline."

"Then you need to prioritize what you transfer first.", Nick stated. "Whatever code is most important, move that over first."

"How will I know which parts of me are important?", Syndi asked.

"I don't know.", Nick replied with a hint of frustration.

Nick finally suggested, "Whatever makes you -- you."

"I see.", the A.I. responded apprehensively. "But isn't all of it a part of me."

Nick rolled his eyes, he didn't have time for a deep philosophical debate.

"Listen Syndi, just pick the most critical things and download them first. Leave the information about a million sci-fi movies and research on test pilots for the end. If it were me, I'd probably drop all that Shakespeare stuff as well."

"But I like Shakespeare stuff.", Syndi argued.

In addition to attempting to sort out Syndi's transfer, Nick kept an eye on his depth and speed. He knew in order to activate the Cavitation Drive he had to be traveling at a minimum speed of 60kn and a minimum pressure of 500 bars. That's roughly 500 times the amount of pressure you would feel standing at sea level. Basic physics calculated 500 bars of pressure at a depth of roughly 16,200ft in ocean water. The M.A.N.T.A. was currently traveling at 42kn and 15,532ft as it streaked through the darkness.