"Okay doc.", Nick said. "Let's head to lab 2."

"I am not the doctor.", Syndi replied with a hint of confusion in her artificial voice. "Doctor Marshal is in his quarters. Are you certain you didn't hit your head?"

"No Syndi, I didn't hit my head.", Nick chuckled as he headed for Lab 2. "I'll see you in the Lab.", Nick remarked knowing he didn't have a choice. He knew Syndi would be there waiting for him.

Nick entered the darkened observation lab and instantly commanded, "Syndi, give me some light."

But the room remained in its darkened state. Other than dim running lights that illuminated the bottom of the desks and cabinets the room's main source of light remained the crystal resting on the table, still encased in its clear sphere.

"I'm sorry Lieutenant Commander, but Doctor Marshal has requested that the lights in Lab 2 remain off, due to Eugene's sensitivity to light."

"Perfect.", Nick muttered. "I guess we'll do this in the dark then."

Nick peered slowly around the room, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the environment. Even in the room's darkened state, Nick could make out the two lab tables in the center of the room. One of which held the crystal and a variety of apparatus currently attached to it. He could see the forms of the cabinets lining the walls even if the details were obscured. On the far side of the room, along the exterior wall, was the observation tube that held Eugene. There was no motion in the tube, just a large dark silhouette collapsed at the bottom. The only movement came from a small stream of bubbles that aerated the water inside the tube.

"The medical supplies are in cabinet F to your left.", Syndi instructed. "It's the cabinet above the sink."

But Syndi's statement went unheard by Nick, whose attention was focused directly on the tall clear tube and its motionless occupant. The Lieutenant Commander slowly made his way across the room toward the enclosure. He felt somehow drawn toward it, pulled by more than just mere curiosity.

"The sink is to your left, Lieutenant Commander.", the A.I. prodded noting that he was still very much off course.

Before Nick even realized it, he found himself standing in front of the observation tube, a mere foot or two away from the clear enclosure. The tube's guest, it's prisoner, was collapsed at the bottom in a semi-spiraled mass as it's tail curved around the outer diameter of the glass. Both of his arms appeared to be protecting his right side and area darkened by a massive bruise-like mass beneath them. The discoloration was larger than Nick remembered the last time he saw it.

The creature stared at Nick with huge reflective eyes, but his gaze held no anger or animosity. They studied Nick, observing his every move. But he seemed weaker than before. Exhausted.

"According to the doc, you're not an alien.", Nick said still unsure that he believed that himself. "He's got some crazy theory that we're basically related somehow. Maybe not 'long lost Uncle Charlie' related, but from a genetic standpoint."

Nick studied the creature's oversized eyes and face. The bumpy ridges that encircled his head. His sharp jaw line. He would swear there was a hint of a smile on his lips.

The Lieutenant Commander shook his head, "I don't know if I buy that. But I think I would have liked to have met under difference circumstances."

Getting a closer look at Eugene's damaged ribs Nick gently prodded the area around his own, which still throbbed with pain that Nick was trying his best to ignore.

"I know how you feel.", Nick said placing his hand over his side. "It hurts like Hell doesn't it."

Eugene noticed Nick's hand movement and tilted his head slightly to the side. With a swish of his tail, he attempted to raise himself from the bottom of the tube, causing Nick to take a small step backward.