Chapter 16: Meet and Greet

The way to the facility was mostly silent.

That's because I was mostly in thought on the way there.

What was my sister like?

What did she look like?

Would she like me?

...Was she like me when I was little?

But all those thoughts went away as soon as those big hallway doors opened.

I held onto Moms hand tightly as we passed room by room, all of them having one person with a specific disease or past.

Some were here temporarily, and some were here till they turned eighteen.

This was a children unit after all.

Apparently, after my sister was taken into custody, and checked out of the hospital, she was sent here to wait to see if she had any other family to take her in before she was put into the fostering system.

It was, scary to say the least.

I mean, I never had to come here because of my doctor recognizing my documents to the ones from years ago when I was born.

I thought back to my brothers, who were all being watched by Uncle Asy while Mom and I left.

Even though Geno wanted to go, and since Geno wanted to go, Error wanted to go to. But, Mom stated that my sister was scared, and this was all new for everybody, and we should take baby steps.

That's why Mom isn't even coming into the room with me.

She had told me on the way it would be better for me to get to know her without her in the room, since my sister might get nervous with two people in there instead of one.

What had she been though?

" Ah, Ms Queens?" A woman wearing a white coat over a gray shirt and jeans asked, a bright purple name tag on her right side.

" Yes, that's me." Mom stated, smiling.

The woman nodded, and looked down at me, giving me a smile.

" And you must be Jasmine." She stated.

I giggled nervously, and nodded.

" J-Jamie is fine." I stated.

The woman nodded, and looked back up to Mom.

" I'll let the rest of the staff know that you're here to visit her. Dr. Kat will be in shortly after, she's currently on lunch, and might be awhile." The woman stated.

Mom nodded, and the woman leaded us to a waiting room with peach-colored benches with white cushions.

Mom had found a book for me to read, so I read aloud to her while we waited.

The book was nice and simple, and it made fifteen minutes only seem like two, as a man in the same scrubs as the woman came in, calling out Moms name.

Mom got up, reaching out her hand for me to grab as we walked up to the man, hands in link.

The man nodded. " Right this way. Dr. Kat is going to explain the circumstances, and the little one will visit her sister while you, Ms. Queens, will discuss some matters with the doctor while doing observation." The man stated, walking down the hallway, Mom and I in tow.

" Huh?" I questioned, looking up to my Mother for answers.

Mom smiled.

" Basically, while I'm observing you, the doctor will hand me information I need to know in case we decide to bring her home, Jamie, that's all." Mom stated, making me nod in understanding.