"I have already been to class this morning. What time do you think it is?" She asked.

"What time is it?"

"It's already twelve thirty in the afternoon. See, working all those crazy hours at the hospital got you all messed up, you can't even tell your days from your nights anymore." She said.

"Miah, I'm not walking around the mall with you all day. In case Nika neglected to tell you, I'm on leave because I need to take my step 3 exams. So I really need to study," I said.

"It won't be all day, and what are you worried about a test for, you know all of that medical stuff. I really want you to get to know Zyonna before we leave so the ice will already be broken and we can concentrate on relaxing and having a ball in the Bahamas," she replied, taking a bottle of water out the fridge along with a handful of grapes.

I reached in the cabinet which held my favorite coffee mug and poured myself a half of pot of coffee, I took a sip and sighed. Now, I could deal with my perky little sister on equal footing.

"Two hours Miah, that is all you are getting out of me," I said.

"That's all I need."

We sat in silence for a while, her eating her grapes and me sipping my coffee. Her face then started to scrunch up. She finally looked up, her eyes filled with questions.

"Kayla, did you talk to mom and dad?" She asked.

"Jamiah, I told you I was not talking to them for you."

"I mean did they tell you why they didn't like Caleb?" She asked.

"No, they didn't."

"I don't like being at odds with them, but what else can I do, give up the man I love to make them happy?"

I wished it was something I could have said to put her at ease, there were no words though. Anything I said would've rung hollow. I took her hand in mine and sat with her until her wave of sadness passed. When she finally pulled herself together again she gave me a forced smile.

"So are you going to get dressed or are you going to wear that sorry excuse for a night gown?" She asked, sniffling and laughing at the same time.

"I'll go change because I can see its pure jealousy that has you constantly hating on my nightgown," I said while pushing my chair back from the table. At the door way of the kitchen I gave a quick glance over my shoulder. Jamiah was staring off into space I could tell from the look on her face she was still thinking of our parents. Maybe this little shopping expedition wasn't such a bad idea; the trip would take her mind off of things for a while.

*****

Strange was the only way I could describe Caleb's sister. Something was definitely off about her. From the first moment Miah introduced me to Zyonna, questions popped into my head. Caleb and she shared no familial resemblance, I wasn't sure if they shared the same nationality. She looked Latina which led me to ask if Caleb was her biological brother.

Jamiah laughed it off and told me to stop playing.

Zyonna regularly observed her surroundings. She took note of everyone and everything that came in her line of vision. I knew what she was doing because I also did it myself, sometimes doing it without thinking. Scouting was taught to me at an early age by my father's mother. The technique was shown to Native American children who chose to go through combative warrior training.

So where had Zyonna picked it up. By the end of our shopping trip my nerves were on edge. Jamiah, of course was oblivious to everything including Zyonna's behavior.

She kept going on about how we were going to have so much fun in the Bahamas and how she was so glad we got to know each other. I wanted to ask her who she had been with this afternoon because it sure was not Zyonna and me. The only thing I knew about Zyonna was her physical appearance, everything else about her remained a mystery, kind of like her brother. I was happy when the meet and greet thing finally came to an end. Afterwards I thought about going home to study for my exam but my thoughts were all over the place so I decided to do go to the gun range instead. I often seek refuge there when I wanted to escape the many issues in my life. I stayed at the range for a few hours, when I finished mutilating my last target sheet I realized it was time to return to reality.

I tried studying when I got home; eager to fill my head with medical symptoms and diagnosis. My errant thoughts however would not let me concentrate so I gave up on studying altogether. I turned on the television. I hoped to give myself over to the non-requirement of thinking. Then there he was, Mr. Perfect. He was talking to an interviewer from Sports Center about his chances of getting the Hawks to the championship this year?

I wanted to turn the channel, or turn the t. v. off; I couldn't move or look away, once again I was this man's unwilling prisoner. Memories began to rush me at the speed of light. Kyle Washington my very first love. I met him during my years at Spellman University. I was a freshman in college when my best friend Eva and I went to a Georgia tech basketball game. From the first time he ran on the court he had my attention.

Kyle was six foot five with a peanut butter brown complexion, which made me think of Reece's Cups. While the lean chords of muscle that made up his body supported the theory of art imitating life. And his lips. Don't even get started on that man's lips. The whole game I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He was sensational, his basketball skills being reminiscent of a young Michael Jordan. In the first half of the game alone he had scored thirty two points, with five rebounds and two assist, he was on fire. Eva whispered in my ear 'They say he is going pro, he might even be a first round pick'

'Who?'

Eva gave me a knowing smirk. After the game we crashed a party one of the players was throwing. She ditched me when we got there to dance with a guy from the team. I still remember leaning against a wall to keep out of the way. After thirty minutes of playing the wallflower I was done. More than ready to leave. A light touch however, at the small of my back held me in place.

'I couldn't help but notice you up in the stands tonight.' Turing, I found myself looking into a pair of the sexiest bedroom eyes I'd ever seen, Kyle Washington's. We spent the whole night talking about everything and anything after that night we were inseparable. Our world consisted of each other.

When I took Kyle home to meet my family, everyone loved him. Ruby adored him. At the end of our junior year of college we moved in together. Five years of my life I ate, slept, and breathed that man. My love for him had no conditions. And when he asked me to marry him my first year of medical school I said yes without thinking. Now even after all of these years, I still regret not thinking.