Chapter 5

The next morning I wasn't surprised to be awakened by a ringing phone. Knowing already who it was I answered, "What Miah?"

"Good morning Kayla. Just calling-"

"To find out what are mom and daddy's issues with Caleb." I finished.

"Yeah, I mean what was that? They've never behaved that way. Especially, daddy. Can you believe he actually forbid me to marry Caleb?" She asked.

"Can you blame him? Marriage is a big damn deal, Miah. Just because you're willing to take this step lightly, doesn't mean mom and dad will." I ran a hand over my face.

"Kayla, I am not taking this lightly. In the past I may have not shown the best judgment when it came to men-,"

"Because they were boys-,"

She raised her voice to cut me off. "But, with Caleb it's different. I'm not with him because he needs to be fixed. I'm marrying him because I love him. A life without him would be unbearable, Kayla. He gets me...better than anyone...better than you."

"Impossible," I said.

"So will you talk to mom and dad about this for me?"

"No, you're a grown woman, remember? It's time for you to start fighting your own battles." Even as I said the words I could feel the cracks in our relationship widening.

Miah remained silent for a moment, and then spoke. "You're right. This is my problem. I'll give dad sometime to get used to all of this. I'll approach him before the wedding. He'll be more receptive by then."

"And if he doesn't come around?"

"Then that's his problem." The words fell from her mouth lacking truth and conviction.

"We both know you don't mean that, but since I don't have time to argue, I'm gonna say I love you, and I'll talk to you later."

"Oh, don't forget about the Bahamas. It would mean everything to me if you come," she said.

"I'm a fifth year resident, Miah. My time is not my own."

"We never get to spend time together any more and every time I call, you always rush me off phone. Things are changing between us, Kayla. And you're too busy to even notice." Her voice became soft and sad.

My guilt shut me down. She was right. Since I entered medical school we hadn't been us in a long time. My calling had become my life and that had left little room for her. The only time she stole my attention was when her ignorant decisions threatened to screw her future. If not for those lapses in judgement, the only time we spoke was at weekly family dinners. Maybe we did need this trip.

"Alright, Miah. Email me the details and I'll see what I can do," I said, all but giving in.

"For real! Girl, we're gonna have so much fun in the Bahamas. Just you wait." She yelled with excitement. "We may even find you a man."

"Stop with the extra. I said I'd try," I snapped.

"Okay, okay. You just better try like hell to get free. This is my last weekend as a single lady. Anything goes, Kayla. That's all I'm saying." She laughed.

"Alright, I have to go now. I have a ton of things to do and an ER rotation tonight."

"Well alright then. Talk to you later."

After Miah disconnected, I gave up on sleeping in. Something hot and dark called my name. It waited on me in in the kitchen, beckoning me with a flavor so mouthwatering it made my knees weak and gave me the shakes. Miah should get on the same page as me. Who the hell needed a man when you had an automatic coffeemaker? Certainly not me!