Chapter 19: New Beginnings

Elijah’s Point of View

My feet kind of just carried me to her. The soft firefly glow of her hair, the freckles that dotted her face, the teeny perfect nose that I peppered kisses on—my first love. This was my Rachel, the one I haven’t seen in years. She was standing here, in front of me.

“Rachel,” I whispered, hoping she would respond back so I knew she wasn’t just a cruel illusion that my mind created.

“Eli, it’s been a while,” she murmured softly, tenderly.

‘Yeah’ was all I could respond with. I was just too shocked to articulate a normal conversation. But could you blame me? What was she doing here? She hasn’t visited in years, but when I finally get a glimpse of moving on, she shows up.

Her eyes flickered to the grass. “I’ve really missed you, you know.”

“Me too.”

“Still not good with words, I see,” she laughed, her grey eyes twinkling.

I shrugged I smiled sheepishly. “I was never into English. You know that.”

She nodded understandingly and then before I knew it, her arms were around me. I wrapped mine around her, breathing in the nostalgia (and vanilla, her signature scent) that came from this moment. But part of it felt new, foreign almost. We had grown when we apart, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying this moment. It was a natural response, hugging her. It was like a part of me was restored.

“I love you, Rachel,” I blurted, my eyes scanning for her reaction.

“I was hoping you were going to say that.” I opened my mouth to ask here what she meant, but was silenced by the fact that she was kissing me. It took me a split second for my brain to respond, my lips seemed to know what I was supposed to do. It was a little more powerful and urgent, but was still as sweet as from when we were younger. “I love you, too. So who was that girl you were with?”

Oh crap. Crap, crap, crap. Ashlyn was still my girlfriend, which meant she probably saw the encounter between Rachel and me. It’s not like I wanted to cheat on Ashlyn, but it was Rachel. I didn’t mean to. If I had known Rachel would be back, I would’ve never led her on.

I whipped around, expecting to see a cross, and maybe hurt Ashlyn, but saw nothing but the remnants of the picnic, the bear, and what used to be. What was I supposed to say to Rachel? That Ashlyn was my girlfriend and I loved her as well? It wasn’t as strong as the love I had for Rachel, but she might think differently. Do I lie to her? I didn’t want to risk losing her again. Fate gave me a second chance for a reason. I wasn’t going to blow it.

“Hm, maybe she left,” she frowned, but didn’t seem too upset about it. She looped her arm through mine and started walking towards the park exit. “Your house is this way, right?”

I nodded, forgetting about the picnic basket. I was just too excited to bring Rachel home to Mom. She would be ecstatic when she found out. She didn’t say it out loud, but I knew she missed Rachel as much as me. She was practically part of our family.

“Mom,” I called, closing the door behind Rachel. “I brought a visitor.”

I heard footsteps coming from the kitchen. “Is it Ashlyn? I made cookies, dear—Rachel? Is that you?”

Rachel smiled warmly, ready to endure my mother’s hugs. “Hi Marsha.”

I think Mom was going to be in tears. “Honey, you look wonderful.” She pulled Rachel back to get a good look at her and then pulled her in for another embrace. “It’s been so long. How are you, baby?”