book 1 - chapter 17

Comenzar desde el principio

I see Korra fly past me, landing in one of the metal wires, managing to get to some equalists. Even with my abilities of water augmentation, I'm only able to get to land safely on the ceiling. Which apparently comes in handy, as that's were the equalists land. I stop some of the water that I used to propel myself and wrap it around my entire body, creating an aquatic armor. I extend the water to reach further than my arms and place myself in a defensive position.

It doesn't take long for Beifong to join me in the fight. More equalists jump down from the airship and our battle begins. I manage to avoid every hit they send my way. I wrap one of the equalist's foot and slam him to the glass, leaving him unconscious.

I notice that Beifong is doing a good job fighting but doesn't notice an equalist creeping up behind her.

"Careful!" I call, before sending a water lash his way, freezing his head before he can touch a hair on the Chief of Police's head. I smirk.

Korra suddenly lands near me. I turn to face her. She nods, letting me know that she's okay. The remaining equalists waste no time to attack. I defer their attacks and retaliate as soon as I get an open window. Korra firebends alongside me, yet I'm too focused on my fight to be frightened by my past traumas.            

I notice that Beifong manages to get one of her wires attached to the airship. As much as that's an enormous victory on our part, I begin to notice the equalists gaining up on us. I breathe in deeply and brace myself for the worst. I don't hesitate with my waterbending one bit, attacking as much as I can.

I'm not defenseless. I'm doing something, and it has never felt so good.

As much as Korra and I's one-on-one combats are successful. I notice that each time the equalists stand back up and keep increasing in numbers as more jump down from the airship. I gulp. I feel exhaustion beginning to creep up on me, but try as hard as I can to suppress it down.

An equalist tries to tie my feet, but I'm quick and jump as high as I can, avoiding his attempt. Yet, once I land, I feel the ground below me getting weak. And before I realize it, Korra and I are falling.

I manage to grab unto Korra's arm as I feel gravity pulling us down. Suddenly, our falling is interrupted. I look up to see that one of Beifong's wire is attached to Korra's waist. Korra is carrying me. The Chief of Police just saved our lives.

Korra and I slam to the ground by the bleachers whilst Beifong lands a few steps away. She immediately rushes to help us up.

"You girls alright?" She asks.

"We're fine." Korra replies. "Thanks to you."

"Don't mention it, kids." Beifong dismisses, a solemn look on her face. "Look like we lost this one."

Suddenly, I hear steps coming from my left. I turn to see Mako and Bolin coming towards us. Mako runs to hug Korra, while I feel Bolin's arms wrapped around me. I let myself melt into him, feeling drained in every aspect possible.

Bolin lets go of me and goes to check on Korra, while Mako rushes to me. I feel his arms around me, and his face buried in the crook of my neck.  "I was so worried about you. Are you okay? How are your wrists?"

"I'm okay, flame boy." I assure, looking at his firey amber eyes once we separate from the hug. "I'll ask Korra to heal them later."

Mako reaches into his pocket and hands me a folded piece of paper. "It's a little wrinkled." He warns. "I was just in a hurry, because I know how much this means to you."

I unfold the paper to see my mom staring back at me. I don't know why, but in this moment I feel like she's looking at me with pride. "Thanks, Mako. I owe you."