Fear is the Mind Killer

Normally, chilling shrieks would trigger most to take flight. Freya Dean isn't like most. If something is happening, she wants to know what. If someone is in danger, she wants to save them. Even if she's scared, she is determined to do what is right. It is not in her nature per say but it is something she has promised herself to do.

That was her reason from getting out the warm covers of her bed, allowing the icy air to penetrate her. Slowly, with care in her steps, she approached her window. A part of her didn't expect to see anything when she pulled back her curtain. She does this a lot at the smallest of commotions, and it always turns out to be nothing. However deep down, she could tell that this wouldn't be the same. Fear spiked within before she even peeked out into the dimly-lit street.

With her phone in hand at the ready, and with a baited breath she cracked the curtain open, peering down into the street. She only had a second to process the horrific scene that was taking place. A girl, being dragged by two men into a car. One man standing aside, smoking. Her brain tried to instantly process this information and what it meant. The smoking figure twitched, looking up and directly at her. She jumped, disappearing to the side immediately. Her blood ran cold. Fight? Flight? All she could do was freeze to her spot.

Hesitantly, she ever so slightly poked her head out enough for a glance at the street. He wasn't looking. He was about to get into the van. Suddenly, her sense shot back into her. Fumbling, she hastily got her camera up on her phone. She stayed low, trying to get the best angle she could. She shuffled along the floor to the right, trying to get the number plate. Hardly anything could be seen. The streetlights were dull and the moon was buried within the stormy clouds. Something is better than nothing though, she thought. What she didn't account for was the fact that her stupid Apple phone would use flash automatically to take the picture.

In that instant, her heart dropped. This time that man looked directly at her, making eye contact. She didn't know if he could see her or what she looked like. But he saw her. She hid without a second thought. Her breathing was audible as terror coursed through her veins, loudly being pumped by her heart. Car doors slammed and an engine was started. Only once she heard them drive off after a few seconds did she look again. Gone. Just like that. Finally.

Shakily, Freya made her way back to her bed, mindlessly getting under the covers, her phone still gripped tightly in her clammy, cold grip. She tentatively closed her eyes. She just wanted to sleep it all away. Rid herself of the memories that just occurred...

It's true what they say. Fear is the mind killer.