Season 2 - Down in the Tunnels

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?" I asked him. Everyone had left to the next tunnel, leaving only us.

"What the hell...?" Dustin whispered, looking up. I followed his gaze to see something on the top of the tunnel pulsing like a heart. It was glowing slightly, just enough so you could see veins inside.

"What is that?" I said.

"I don't-"

Dustin's answer was cut off by the thing shrinking into itself before shooting white particles at us - the same ones that were floating around the tunnels.

"Shit!" Dustin screamed, jumping back into me and knocking me to the ground. My vision filled with white and my ears filled with my brother's screams. I waved my hands in front of my face desperately trying to get the white to go away.

"Help!" Dustin yelled for the others as my vision cleared. "Help! HELP!"

"Dustin!" I called, crawling over to him as Steve, Mike, Lucas and Max all came back around the corner. "Dustin, are you okay!?"

"What happened?" Steve yelled as Dustin continued to scream bloody murder. He was bent over on his hands and knees, lowering his bandana from his face.

"It's in my mouth!" Dustin screamed. I sat beside him, patting his back roughly to help him cough the white stuff back up. "Some got in my mouth! Shit!"

He began coughing and then spit onto the ground before kneeling back and looking at everyone's scared faces.

"...I'm okay."

"Jesus, Dustin," I breathed, standing up and dusting myself off.

"You serious?" Max said.

"Very funny, man," Steve rolled his eyes. "Nice. Very nice."

"Jesus, what an idiot," Lucas shook his head. I helped Dustin back to his feet and we followed everyone back down the tunnels, an occasional cough coming from him.

The tunnels began getting visibly steeper and darker, and the floating particles became thicker.

"All right, Wheeler," Steve said from the front, coming to a stop. "I think we found your hub."

In front of us stood a large cave where all of the tunnels connected, just like in Will's drawing. It was filled with animal carcasses and reeked of rotting meat.

"Let's drench it," Mike instructed. We all spread out and began pouring gasoline all over the room. Lucas used the hose to spray the areas that we couldn't get to like the ceilings and upper walls.

After a minute, the room stopped smelling like meat and started smelling like gas, and everyone's containers began running out.

Eventually, gasoline pooled on the floors and dripped from the walls, meaning it was time.

"All right, you guys ready?" Steve asked when we were all back at the tunnel entrance, ready to get out. I held the lighter in my hand, ready to throw it into the hub on his signal. We knew we would only have a short time between the flame catching and the Demo-dogs arriving, so we had to be quick.

"Yeah," Mike said.

"Ready," Lucas said.

"Ready," Max nodded.

"Light her up," Dustin told me. I looked at Steve who shook his head like he didn't believe what was happening.

"God, (Y/n)," Steve said with a small groan. "We are in such deep shit."

I chuckled. "Oh, don't worry. I've been in shit since I let a strange girl with powers into Mike's house."

With that, I opened the lighter and lit it. I looked to Steve, who nodded at me, and I launched it into the dark.