Season 2 - Halloween

This year for Halloween, the party decided to go as the GhostBusters. They tried to sucker me into it by being their Slime Monster, but I had said no, and was glad I was free to go to Tina's party rather than walk around babysitting. However, it was still no surprise to me that, when I walked out of my room and into the living room on October 31st, Dustin was posing in his suit for our mother who was furiously taking pictures.

"You're seriously wearing that thing to school?" I raised an eyebrow as I plopped on the couch next to Mews who stared at my brother and Mom, looking confused.

"Um, obviously," Dustin said with a look as if my question was stupid. Mom paid no attention to me as she kept photographing him, beaming.

"A little to the left, Honey," Mom said. Dustin obliged and held up his fake proton blaster to the camera. I snorted.

"What's so funny?" Dustin said with a scowl.

"Nothing..." I said, finding it hard to keep my smile hidden. "I just stopped dressing up for Halloween in Elementary. For school, at least."

Dustin rolled his eyes. "Yeah, because you're boring and probably had stupid costumes."

"Hey! My costumes were amazing."

"Tell that to the bunny ears sitting in your closet."

"For your information, I was a very cute-"

"(Y/n)!" Mom turned to me, bringing the camera down from her face. "Stop distracting your brother."

"Sure thing!" I said with a fake smile. She turned around, apparently satisfied with my answer, and brought the camera up to her face. I stuck out my tongue at Dustin when I was sure she wasn't looking to which he ignored.

"Oh, Dusty!" Mom cooed, snapping more pictures as Dustin beamed. "I want to see those pearls!"

"Yeah, let's see those pearls, Dusty," I mocked. Mom turned around and death-stared me, making the smirk fall from my face. "Sorry, sorry. I'm done."

"Who ya' gonna call?" Mom began to sing the GhostBusters theme song, including the instrumental that follows. Mews let out a meow, and I buried my face in his orange fur to keep from laughing.

After a few more minutes of picture taking, I'd had enough.

"Alright, time to go," I said, scratching Mews on the head before getting up and grabbing my bag from the closet. I turned back to see Dustin still taking pictures. "Are you coming or what?"

"No, the party and I are riding our bikes," Dustin said. I shook my head and got my key out of my jacket pocket.

"Suit yourself," I said. I gave my brother one last look, hoping that he wasn't about to get bullied, and then walked out to my car. As I got in, I remembered that I was supposed to pick up Nancy and drove to the Wheeler's.

I arrived just as Mike was leaving on his bike, decked out in his costume as well. I waved at him and he waved back before riding down the road. I then honked my horn a couple times to let Nancy know I was here and watched her come down the path, bursting into tears the second she sat in the passenger seat.

"Woah, woah, hey," I said, my eyes filled with concern as she looked at me. "Are you okay?"

Nancy shook her head.

"Did Steve do something?" She shook her head again, trying to stop her crying. "Did something happen at the Hollands last night?"

Nancy nodded, taking a breath. Ever since Eleven told us that Barb had died, Nancy and Steve had been making regular visits to Barb's parents house. The married couple, by Jim Hopper's instructions, were under the impression that their beloved daughter was simply 'missing' and nothing more. The thought of lying about death made me sick, but it was necessary to keep El and the Upside Down a secret.