Season 2 - Down in the Tunnels

Start from the beginning

"Uh, just stay calm," I said, cringing as I looked back to the road. "We're going on a small excursion..."

"A what?" Steve said. I heard him trying to move around but kept my hand firmly on his knee to keep him still.

"Just relax," Dustin said.

"Where are we going?" I could hear the panic in Steve's voice. "Oh, my God. I thought I said we were staying on the bench!"

"They were gonna leave you behind," Dustin continued, adjusting the ice pack. "But I promised that you'd be cool, okay?"

I pressed on the gas and the car lurched slowly, making Steve groan.

"Whoa!" He cried. "Stop the car. Slow down."

"I told you he'd freak out!" Mike said.

"Stop the car!"

"Everybody shut up!" I said, taking my hand away and putting it back on the wheel.

"That's Mount Sinai," Lucas pointed to a road ahead. "Make a left."

I did as he said and turned left, speeding down the street.

"I'm gonna be sick," Steve said from the back.

"Steve, chill!" I told him.

"This is such a bad idea-"

Everyone groaned. "Steve. Chill!"

Steve finally shut up as I turned down another road and rolled onto the plot of land where Hopper dug the hole. I stopped right in front of it and looked at everyone.

"Let's go."

We all climbed out of the car, minus Steve who struggled with moving from the seat. Lucas was the first to the trunk, then Dustin, and they handed us our goggles and bandanas which we tied around our mouths. Steve fell out of the car onto his hands and knees with a grunt.

"Guys," Steve said standing up and collapsing against the side of the car. I took my bag from Lucas and swung it over my shoulders, placing the lighter that had been in Steve's bag into mine. "Oh, no, guys!"

We ignored Steve and got everything we needed. Mike took the rope and gasoline and went to the front of the car.

"Hey, where do you think you're going?" Steve said to Mike. He kept walking and began tying the rope to the grate. "What are you, deaf? Hello!?"

Lucas got the gasoline hose and tank on his back and I helped him secure it.

"We are not going down there right now! I made myself clear!"

Lucas walked to the others and Dustin helped me tie the back of my bandana. I then grabbed the lighter from the bag and put it in my pocket.

"Hey, there's no chance we're going to that hole, all right?"

Dustin walked away to the front with some more gasoline in his hands.

"This ends right now!" Steve yelled, walking to the trunk and throwing the bandana we'd bought for him onto the ground.

"Steve!" I yelled, making him stop. He leaned back against the car, eyes glued to me, and I stepped in front of him. "I get that you're upset, and I'm sorry that I went against your word, but the bottom line is, our friends and family are out there needing help. Our duty is to provide that help."

Steve's gaze dropped and I reached into the trunk to grab his bag. I thrusted it into his chest and he held onto it, one of his hands overlapping mine.

"Listen. You promised Nance that we would keep those kids safe. So, stupid plan or not, that's what we're going to do."

"You think I'm doing this for Nancy?" Steve said, a small smile quirking onto his lips before fading.