2. Two of a Kind

Stacey Davidson pulled a steaming tray of apple-cinnamon muffins out of the oven and set them on a cooling rack on the counter. She stole a quick glance at her reflection in the kitchen window. At thirty-six she still cut a striking figure in her apricot dress, hair pulled back and makeup understated but thoughtful, just like the rest of her. She pushed back a stray strand of blonde hair from her face with an oven mitt and then rested her mitted hands on her hips, assessing the situation. Apple-cinnamon muffins, his favorite; iced tea; fresh fruit salad; sliced mozzarella; Manchego; and Gouda. Fresh coffee rested in the french press, ready to be poured. "I think we're ready," she whispered to herself. It was just an afternoon snack, but her son and his friend would be hungry when they arrived. It was a good four-hour drive from the university out to the lake. She and the family had only arrived the week before from the city, and she'd been on her feet since—spring cleaning, grocery shopping, and preparing the lake house for another summer.

Stacey grabbed the fruit salad and sliced cheese from the counter and made her way to the kitchen table, where her ten-year-old daughter, Birdy, was fully immersed in role-play with her Barbie dolls. Both naked, Skipper and Ken were engaged in a kind of rescue mission. Birdy positioned Ken to kneel over Skipper with his hands on her chest.

"First. See if the victim is conscious and breathing. 'Can you hear me? Can you hear me?'" Birdy lowered her voice to play Ken. "Second. Call for help in a loud, clear voice. 'Help! Help!' Third. If they are not breathing, check the mouth for anything that might be blocking the airway. Like an apple core or something...."

"Birdy, why are your Barbie people naked? Don't you think they might be more comfortable practicing CPR in clothes?" Stacey asked, setting down the fruit salad and cheese plate.

"They were swimming and Skipper almost drowned!" Birdy answered, her eyes wide with the absolute horror of the situation.

"Nakedness is nothing to be ashamed of, Birdy, but at the dining room table maybe they could at least pop on some swimwear. We're about to have company!" Stacey wheeled around behind Birdy, plucked a hair elastic out of her dress pocket, and then deftly pulled her blonde tresses back into a presentable ponytail.

"I know, I know," Birdy lamented. "Tyler's coming home."

The age difference between Birdy and her brother was nearly eleven years, but every once in a while Stacey felt a twinge of despair as she noticed her little girl growing up. The next seven years would pass all too quickly, and then where would she be? She'd have the graduation and prom to plan for, and then there'd be the excitement of getting ready for college, but after that.... She'd already learned over the past three years with Tyler away at university that his need for her in his life was waning. His first year away at college, they had spoken at least every other night, catching up on his classes and new friends, and she was generally able to calm any fear or worry he might have had, although she was sure Tyler wouldn't want all his friends to know he spoke with his mother that often. Part of becoming a man was breaking away from one's mother; she understood that. Still, that didn't make it easy for her. This past year his calls had become increasingly less frequent. She assumed it had something to do with his new friend, Chase. They seemed to spend all their time together. Obviously he had taken her place in some regards as Tyler's confidant. That's good, that's normal, she considered, not completely sure what normal was supposed to be.

From outside appearances the Davidson family seemed to have everything cemented together, but those appearances hadn't come without a lot of work. Sure, they had money now, but it certainly hadn't always been that way. Stacey had worked diligently her entire life to create the perfect family. She was desperate to be the casual envy of her neighbors and to sweep rumors swiftly away from their doorstep. There had been too much whispering to deal with in the beginning. But now was a different time, and all of that was behind them. Stacey now held a quiet pride in her family and her life. She had two beautiful children, two beautiful homes, and there was never a worry or want. All due to her husband, Nathan.