The Charmings in Quarantine

Red looked at her mirror for what seemed like the thousandth time that day.  Sure, she loved her appearance, but she was utterly bored.   Froggy was reading, as usual, and Red was left with nothing to do.  She couldn't go for a walk, she couldn't have a new dress made for her, she couldn't do anything. All the servants were sent back to their houses to quarantine, leaving her and Froggy in an almost empty castle to live in.  

She decided that she was hungry.  She went out into the blank corridor and tried to find her way to the kitchens.  After a while of searching, she found it.  She also found that they had a swimming pool, she vaguely remembered having them put that in, a basket room full fo baskets that she didn't even know they had, and a room full of bolts of fabric.  She had almost decided to try to make herself a dress, but her stomach had reminded her of her original task.  

Red searched around the kitchen for a plate and after successfully knocking over way too many pots and pans, she found one.  Since she had already practically scoured the kitchen for a plate, she easily found the bread and jelly.  What?  It was all she knew how to make if she could even open the jelly.  

She tugged on the cloth covering until she was sure she would rip her fingers off.  She put the jar down in discouragement and then saw the double-knotted bow holding the cloth on.  She growled in frustration and untied the bow with no problem.  The cloth covering slipped off the top of the jar with a 'swoosh' and landed on the counter as Red spread the mouth-watering jelly onto her bread.  

She bit into her toast, which she couldn't exactly call it to toast since she had no idea how to work the toaster or the oven.  Her mouth exploded with the flavors of the hard-worked for jelly and slightly soggy half-stale bread.  She didn't think to throw away the bread since she didn't know where she would get more.  

After finishing her snack, Red made her way back to the fabric room.  She fingered the carefully folded fabric, careful not to mess any of it up.  She picked a cheery yellow with a white daisy pattern and pulled it out.  She laid it down on the working table and was trying to decide what to do next when she saw sheets of paper in a pile on the floor out of the corner of her eye. 

She walked over to the paper sheets and saw that they were dress patterns.  But for little people.  As she looked over the patterns, she realized that they had little numbers next to the patterns.  As she looked closer, she found out that the numbers were for the actual size of the dress, and that these were just small versions of the actual patterns. 

Red walked over to the wardrobe in the corner, which had just caught her attention.  She opened it and saw half-finished dresses.  She decided that instead of starting from scratch with a dress, she would finish one.  She chose a cream-colored bodice to go with the yellow and daisy print she had already pulled out.  

She plopped the bodice onto the table and walked back over to the stack of patterns.  She leafed through them until she found a skirt design she liked and pulled it out.  She took it over to the table and got to work.  

She measured the fabric.  Marked the measurements.  Found the scissors.  Cut the fabric.  Figured out the sewing machine.  Sewed the skirt.  Finished the bodice with touches of baby pink.  Sewed the bodice to the skirt.  Tried it on.  Made adjustments.  Done.  

Red twirled around in the dress, feeling especially good about it since she made it. It felt good to wear her hard work.  

Froggy leaned against the doorframe, watching his wife work on her dress.  He was happy to see her so invested in doing something herself, that he resisted the urge to help her or comment.  He was content to watch her be her.