Chapter Eleven - Back on Track

Ever since that night, I went back to staying out of Zuko's way. As Iroh had told me, maybe it was for the best that Zuko didn’t acknowledge things yet. Denial was a powerful defense mechanism, and one that, at the moment, he clearly needed.

I kept up my training, and I found that Iroh had been right. As disastrous as things had ended up being, at least I’d had the chance to talk everything through. Though it was still an extremely painful memory, I no longer lost control of my emotions, or of my bending, and on the whole, I was feeling much better.

Tonight, it was another music night on the ship. I was having fun – Lieutenant Jee was playing a tune, accompanied by some drums, and Iroh was singing. I was contemplating whether I should join in, when the music stopped.

“What’s –"

I trailed off as I saw them.
A group of Fire Nation soldiers boarded the ship, masks concealing their faces, except for one. He seemed to be their leader. Quickly and quietly, I slunk away into the shadows, hoping they hadn’t come for me.

“On the orders of Admiral Zhao, the crew of this ship is to join the Fire Nation Navy in attacking the North Pole and capturing the Avatar! Everyone on this ship is to evacuate it at once!”

As one of the soldiers barked the order, I let out a silent gasp. Admiral Zhao – Iroh had mentioned him, and even though I’d known he was a threat back then, I never thought Aang would be up against a whole invasion fleet. If there was a silver lining to this, it was that they hadn’t noticed me, but in that moment, I wished with all my heart that I’d been their target instead. Anything was better than Aang and his friends going against the Navy – hundreds of warships, thousands of highly competent soldiers. And, even though Aang had the Northern Water Tribe to support him, I couldn’t be sure that it would be enough.

Zhao's soldiers left the ship, leaving the crew to pack their bags, and only Zhao himself remained, along with Iroh.

“Take me to the Prince!” he ordered.

Iroh obliged, and then they were gone, leaving me alone.

I stood there and thought about what I should do. I couldn’t escape now – Zhao's ship was right there – too risky. Escape some other time tonight? Maybe – after all, the crew would be gone. On the other hand, how would Iroh and Zuko respond to that? Maybe they’d keep a closer eye on me. Iroh might let me go, but not Zuko. So, scratch that option too. And where did that leave me? Stay put and do nothing as Aang was captured and the world’s last hope was destroyed? No – that was worse than all the previous options combined. If only there was someone who knew the situation well and could help me… And, I realised, there was. There was someone who knew exactly what was going on with Aang, and could even lend me his powers to escape if I needed it. I would have to try and contact Avatar Roku.

____________

An hour had passed, and, as it turned out, contacting Roku was much easier said than done. I’d been trying to meditate back in my room – but, of course, that wasn’t working, and, as much as I needed to speak to him, I wasn’t going to knock myself out to do it. I’d just have to wait for a quieter moment and try meditation again, because right now, I couldn’t focus. I could hear the crew leaving the ship now – their footsteps on the metal floors, their wishes of good luck. And then, they were gone, and it was just the three of us left: Iroh, Zuko, me. Then, someone else left, and, judging by the slower, lighter footsteps, and the faint sound of a hummed song, it must have been Iroh. Now there were two; the ship was finally quiet again.

____________

I had just got my breathing right and was finally getting somewhere in my meditation, when I heard more noises. Iroh must have come back, I thought, except it didn’t sound like him at all, far from it. The movements were too quick, too messy and jerky. So then – I froze – who was this? Trying to make as little noise as possible, I got up, and tiptoed to the door, listening out for more sounds. Nothing. Dead silence. Then – a sound that I couldn’t quite make out. And, immediately after: