Chapter 8: Zairea and Cody Hansen

Cody Hanson was not an idiot.

When he opened his eyes and found himself in a corn field, the gears in his mind kicked into action. A few country men had found him, and were now taking him with them. There was a possibility that he was either kidnapped or pranked into being dragged across his city into a country. Which had to be a serious prank because there weren't any fields within a few hundred kilometres of the city's radar. And so, said serious prank had to be a kidnapping.

Or there was, as he liked to hope, a distinct possibility that his wish last night had been granted and he had traveled through time along with Col-

He perked up, snapping back into reality (or maybe not) as he became hyper aware that he had to find a way to get back home and make sure his best friend was okay. He wasn't really sure, but the way these few country men were staring at him as they took him with them in a horse cart to who knows where, he felt as if they were judging his attire.

Self-consciously, he adjusted the side of his loose jacket that hung freely from one shoulder. He pushed his frames further up his nose, and brushed his fingers into his jet black bangs swiftly. Then his blue eyes traveled over their attires in the same skeptical way.

They had found him unconscious in a field. And were now taking him to Zairea.

"Can I know what's happening here?" He asked suddenly, making them turn to him. One of them, an old rusty man having a cane hanging from the corner of his lip, spit out what he was chewing and opened his mouth to speak.

"We could ask ya the same question, lad." He said, his accent heavily laid like that of a country man but with the words of older times. Older times!

Cody sat up stiffly, eyes darting to the people once more. Exceptional leather boots, baggy scruffy linen clothing. Jute hats. Horse carts-

"What year is this?!!" He suddenly exclaimed and a few heads turned to him incredulously, one of them even swearing under his breath. The same old man decided to speak again, though he looked clearly put off by the boy's alien behavior. "Yer going with us to our village, Zairea. It's the year 1976, May the darn 15th. Ya clearly lost to yer brain and we're gonna take ya to the head."

"Who's your head?"

"None'a yer diddly darn business."

Cody frowned. He was very tempted to ask 'where's your head?' instead. But seeing as the men were on the brim of either snapping at him or snapping him in half, he chose to stay quiet.

I really need to find Colette. If she's even around here, that is. He thought to himself. He excitedly calculated the number of years he was behind and was even more ecstatic to know that the amount was close to what his best friend had requested. It further proved the possibility that the old metal box machine had, perhaps, worked. He continued to wrack his brain with other things. He was in 1976 and that took him back to the days where there wasn't much advancement. Knowing that they were in a country narrowed down the chances of even proper communication among separate towns. As excited as the young boy was, he was finally starting to grasp onto a very important fact.

He had travelled in time. Okay. Good. Unbelievable even. Bravo.

But how to go back?

Not so surprisingly, the young scientist had to find an answer to that yet. Which meant that he needed his source of both inspiration and aspiration. His best friend.

It should be possible. Colette had to have traveled with him as well if he were there. It was always like this in the movies; there are always two ends of a bridge that connected to bigger plots in order to make sense. And the black-head was certain that he was one part of that bridge, and he just so chose to wish Colette was the other.