Chapter 5: You Believed Me

They all sat in silence, Raymond respectably standing beside the table as Alexander eyed him, and then the girl, and then the faithful servant Claire. They were all stiff and unmoving, letting the man eye them judgingly and decide whatever suited him. It was a surprise to Colette. Though her grandfather looked like a remarkably good looking and fit man, she had never seen him so serious and stern.

"So you are lost from your parents, you say?" he asked, in a speculating tone.

Colette glanced at Raymond, who nodded reassuringly. "Yes, um, Monsieur." She nodded more times than necessary. Alexander, a composed broad-shouldered man, presumably the head of Tyren, raised his naturally dark and fine eyebrow, "And a French lady?" Colette thickened her accent, smiling widely, "Oui, Oui, uh- Yes, Oui..." She wished this quality wouldn't raise any suspicions in front of her grandfather who was already boring holes into her being with his calculating stare. He hummed to himself, taking off his glasses and placing them on the table. He turned towards his son. Raymond looked at his father as he said to the young blonde, "You want me to ask Zairea's Town to send that crazy boy over here?"

"He's her brother." Raymond said. Colette shook her head to correct her father, "Actually, he's-"

"-A little crazy, too." Raymond finished. Colette stared incredulously, and her father-to-be-in-future just shook his head at her, motioning towards the skeptical grandfather. "That is why it's important to bring him to her as soon as possible."

The grandfather, emotionless, turned towards Colette again, "Two French people, lost in two different towns in a country that is not even close to France." He turned to Claire, "How very strange." Said old women nodded, smiling nervously. He then turned towards the brunette again. "What was your name again, young girl?"

"Colette Rive-"

"-Rivera. Colette Rivera, her name is." Raymond finished. Alexander smiled just a little, amused. "The name doesn't sound French."

"It doesn't matter, does it Father?" Raymond chuckled somewhat nervously, "You will inform your friend in Zairea, I hope."

His father nodded. "I will. But it might take some time. People don't let an outsider travel so easily here." He eyed Colette who shuffled nervously. Alexander turned to Raymond again "While our guest stays, why don't you show her around Tyren, Raymond? I'm sure she'd like a little greenery and our farms here." He smiled at Colette. She stood up and bowed a little, "Merci, monsieur. I'd love that." Raymond stepped forward, and trotted out of the dining area with Colette.

Just as they came out into the dark balcony, Colette turned towards him, "Why didn't we tell him the truth?"

"He will not believe us if we did."

"Why not? You believed me."

Raymond shook his head, his blond locks swaying. "It's not the same case with him." Colette decided to let that go. But then she said, "Cody isn't my brother, you know. He's too gross to be my brother."

Raymond glared at her, "You didn't expect me to tell your Grandfather that you're frank enough to have crazy boys as best friends, did you?" She matched his look, "I don't have best friends. Only a friend, Cody Hanson. And he's not crazy, not that much" She murmured the last part.

He remained silent, so she continued, "By the way, I have two brothers." He looked up at her suddenly, his eyes wide, "Really?"

"Yeah. Herald and Henry." Raymond scrunched up his nose, "Did I give them those names?"

Colette laughed, "No. Mum liked these names." Raymond was silent for a while, and when he decided to speak up, Colette stopped him, "Don't expect me to tell you my mother's name." Raymond closed his mouth quickly, pink tinting his cheeks. It was kind of funny to Colette; she'd never seen her father flustered and, now being her age, she could enjoy every second of his funny reactions. In fact, he didn't seem like her father at all. This boy was a jolly person. A believer, Colette had found. He was a dedicated young man full of so many colors that he displayed recklessly. But then, everyone in their teenage is the same. They probably grow a second head when they become adults, because life's never the same after that. Call them stages, perhaps.

Raymond broke her out of her thoughts. "So, do you really know how to speak French?" Colette shrugged, saying "I'm taking classes." Raymond smiled, "Tell me something more about you, Colette."

Colette smiled, her heart warming up. "Well, I'm a really happy person. Everything I need is given to me (Mum makes sure of that.), I have pretty good grades.

Min-min-hehe well, you, keep records of my studies and my performance in sports and other activities. Always an A student."

Raymond awed, "No way! Even I am a little flimsy when it comes to math." They both shared a hearty laugh. Raymond continued, placing his hands behind his back. "We study from our Master that lives just a little distance away in a cottage. You see, as the world has progressed more with telephone lines and cars and other sorts of uncanny inventions, our Tyren is still a little backward. Surely, I would've told you about of this in the future?"

Colette shook her head, "You didn't. However, you did make me learn the history of the world from a book that had words I couldn't even fathom." Raymond chuckled. "So, I was saying that we study from him, Professor Brent, I mean. He has great knowledge of all sorts. He came to this village specifically to educate the new generation."

"I'd say. My math is a little weak too. But Cody is freaking good in studies. He helps me a lot. Basically, we both help each other in the things the other lacks." Raymond tried to hide his frown at the mention of his name again. Who knew what type of a lad Cody Hanson was?

"Colette, one more question, if you don't mind. Not as father and daughter, but as friends and age fellows," he motioned between them, and Colette brightened at the newly declared relationship by her father, "Do you... have any, I mean- have an interest, or like a... you know?" He coughed. A big smile spread across her lips. Her father was being protective! Oh good jolly ice-cream cone! She had a protective daddy!

"I don't have any interest in relationships and I don't like anyone, if that's what you mean." She said quite frankly. He nodded proudly, his face brightening as relief crossed his expression. "I must be really proud of you, then." He said softly.

Colette's smile broke, and she didn't say anything as her eyes trailed down to the floor. If Raymond thought of it as a strange reaction, he didn't mention it. They went back inside, Raymond promising her that he'd show her around the next day in the morning