Chapter 23

"The shadow is down, Joker! You seem to enjoy making them suffer..." The words flew out of my mouth when we approached him. The shadow begged for mercy once Joker's gun was against his forehead.

With one final shot, Joker ended the battle.

We retreated to a nearby safe room after we finished the locks. Queen and I had to piece the codes together until Joker said he understood the rest of the codes.

Mona sensed the treasure nearby. We found the elevator that would lead us to the room and took it.

Once the doors finally opened, there is was in plain sight.

Unmaterialized but it was still there. All we need to do is send the calling card and it will reveal itself.

Even after all these years of knowing the cognitive world, I've never been this close to the treasure. Normally my missions was just to find the palace owner and attack right away.

The treasure wasn't touched at all. It always remained untouched. We were sent to kill. Not to reform their hearts...

The ride down the elevator was silent. No one said a thing until the doors opened to reveal the treasure.

"It's right here!" Morgana said, clearly proud of himself.

"I don't see anything..." Makoto frowned.

"Bastard thought we wouldn't make it this far if he has it out like this," I hummed and crossed my arms. "All we have to do is send the calling card and wait for the treasure to materialize, right?"

Ryuji grinned and nodded.

"Yeah, we just gotta wait for him to see the calling card and it's go time."

"I see... So making the target believe that the treasure is in danger will cause it to materialize..." Makoto said, taking in all that she could.

"It's a bold trick. You're raising the security of the palace in order to get the treasure, but I take it that Joker has everything planned, correct? The Phantom Thieves will legitimately have their own bank heist..."

"Huh? How'd they understand so well?" Panther frowned.

"Y'know, I never thought I'd actually rob a bank. Damn, it's pretty exciting," Ryuji cracked his knuckles.

"Alright, we'll return once the calling card has been sent!" Panther said before we left the room and headed out.

How will we send the calling card? Kaneshiro is harder to reach... They used the bulletin board for Kamoshida and a literal card for Madarame, so they'll have to strive for something bigger to get his attention without giving away our positions as the Phantom Thieves.

Maybe if we find a way to give it to one of his men... A calling card like that wouldn't be that suspicious. And it might be simple to drop it off in the lockers where most of his victims are dropping the drugs off.

That way you wouldn't know who dropped the calling card off.

I didn't even feel us leaving Mementos. I only realized we were in the real world after hearing police sirens and people murmuring nearby.

"Aren't you coming?" I looked up to see Fox right in front of me.

"Ah! Forgive me. I got distracted," I shook my head and smiled. "I'm just thinking of something..."

He stayed quiet and raised an eyebrow. Did he always have that strand of hair fall on his face?

"Has it been difficult?"

"I don't understand. Are you implying I have difficulties thinking?" I frowned.

He chuckled and pushed the hair out of his face. He was going to say something but then two girls came up to us. They were clearly first years.

"Oh! Y/N! Is it true you broke up with Akechi?" One girl asked. I sighed and rolled my eyes before nodding. In whose right mind would you ask someone if they've broken up? It hasn't even been a week...

"Rumors are true. You now have a chance to get Akechi," I grinned, pressing my hands together against my stomach. My face was getting ready to fall apart but I still kept going.

"Hint: he likes it when you follow him around everywhere he goes! Mostly in Kijijoji."

"Wow! You're so sweet!" The other girl said with twinkle in her eyes as she took her phone out. She's probably going to tell her other friends about what I told them.

I pressed my finger against my lip and hushed them.

"Don't tell anyone I told you about Akechi. Otherwise, he'll hide himself from the public. He'll be sleeping with that teddy bear of his for a whole month," I pouted at the end. The girls obviously fell for it as they aww'ed and held their hands close to their chest.

"Got it!" The girls said simultaneously before rushing off.

Yusuke chuckled behind me. Oh. I forgot he was there.

"What? I was just helping Akechi get a girlfriend," My lips curled up before I started laughing. For anyone else, it would be a relieving feeling. For me, I felt empty. It must have been a way to mask the pain? Either way, even I didn't believe it.

"Even you can't keep an act..." He raised an eyebrow in interest and smiled back. He was such a quiet, reserved person. I wonder if he's always like this.

Yusuke was an observant person. I could see him inspecting the entire group during battle and meetings. The thing about him is that he is not used to human contact. The only person he's known, well he thought he knew, was Madarame.

I don't understand how he allowed Madarame continue to live after all he's done. He watched his mother die to take her painting, stole his student's art for his own fame and glory...

I would have pulled the trigger if he ever tried begging for his life during a mission. A man like him doesn't deserve to live.

How does Yusuke handle such emotions? He keeps them so well hidden...

The only problem about Yusuke was that he doesn't really understand human emotions. His way of expressing is way different to a normal person.

That's what society needs.

A different voice.

I don't think anyone other than Akira has tried seeing his true self. I feel something tug my guts whenever I learn something new about him. I want to know who he really is.

And I always get what I want.

"Yusuke? May I invite you to a diner nearby? I don't want to go alone at this time at night..."