Chapter 22

I laid on Akira's couch. My eyes wandered to every single noise I heard though.

I can't sleep...

I raised my arm in the air and watched my sleeves slide down to my elbow. Taking a deep breath, I reached out to grab my phone from the table beside the couch.

No messages.

"There's nothing we can fix. We've done this so many times... I'm done. You have to fix yourself, Akechi..."

I cringed. I looked away but only after seeing the hurt on his face. Then he scoffed and got out of my way. That was right before I took the last of my stuff and left.

I didn't look back.

I knew looking back would make me return.

And I didn't want to return.

It was an effort convincing Akira I was fine with the couch. He could sleep on his bed. Morgana wouldn't like sleeping somewhere other than that bed anyway.

I didn't want to hear his complaints.

Trust me... You don't want to hear them either.

A notification rang.

I held my breath and turned my phone on almost instantly. It wasn't me.

"Damn it, Ann. Why go to the movies on a Saturday?"

"Tell her you got a doctor's appointment. You have to go there anyway," Morgana yawned.

"I'm not going to be a guinea pig on a Saturday. I have a life, mind you. I have to get my guts up for Iwai-

"What's with you and your guts?"

"What's with you and your charm? I don't see you getting Lady Ann."

"I'm going back to sleep."

"That's what I thought you said. Y/N, why are you still awake?"

I sat up and shook my head.

"I can't sleep. Even after I took those sleeping pills, my mind keeps wandering around."

I could see him shuffling through the darkness before standing up and ran his hand through his hair.

"Let's go out for a walk then? Once I wake up, I can't go to sleep..." He grabbed his sweater and put it on.

"Alright," I stood up and grabbed my own sweater before walking down the stairs with him. Morgana decided to stay in bed after Akira practically hurt his ego.

They'll make up by morning, I know it.

Akira locked the door behind us and we started strolling around the neighborhood. We pet the stray cats in the alley for a couple minutes. They seem to enjoy Akira's presence a lot. The fact that he picked one up without it attacking makes it really obvious.

"I'm a cat whisperer. They obey me like they should..."

His stoic voice makes it difficult to know when he's joking or being serious.

Time went by fast. The store owners were barely opening their businesses and the birds started chirping. How do birds live in an area like this?

They should be at the parks where there's enough space for them. A place like this just wasn't right for them.

"Those damn birds keep pooping by my window. I've been trying to convince Morgana to get the birds like a regular cat but it's been a failure so far."

"Throw him at the birds. Maybe he'll learn that he has to do things in order to live in your attic." I chuckled.

"Huh. I never thought of that..." He frowned and placed his finger against his chin. "Cats have nine lives and they can land on their paws, right?"