A Demon full of Hope

On hearing the word "demon," many see hell suffering, and every abomination known to mankind.

But, one sees me at times. During work, they describe be as a ruthless seeker of the truth. I'd risk my life to bring justice.

No, justice is a weapon utilized to bring fear and harm to society. It doesn't help people. It's a mere system to sentence culprits and scare the public. But, no matter how brutal their torture is, others turn a blank eye.

How easy is it to fall into despair?

Is it as simple as extinguishing a small candle with the smallest of breeze?

I've seen people fall into despair. How their body heat leaves their body once hearing their sentence. They were still there, but you can tell they have no life. 

Even for those who control their emotions, you can see it in their eyes. Their eyes betray the mask they put on, trying to show that they're not afraid or just don't care.

And for the victim's families, I want to rekindle their heat from the empty void the culprit made. But I can't. The only thing I can do was find the suspect and bring him down. In the end, no one wins.

Whoever died won't come back.

And whoever got sentenced won't get the years back.

And me... I get their murderous looks as I sit next to my co-workers, feeling nothing but hatred and resentment towards them and myself.

In Mementos, I am different. 

With the knife inside the shadow and my hands pushing it deep inside it so that it allows the shadow's mist escape, I catch myself grinning. Then, I swipe it in the air and clean the goo off on my coat.

I don't know if it's pleasure from his begs or the fact that I was able to end such an important, powerful man's life with one knife.

I would feel guilty for taking his life, but at the same time, those underage girls were finally free from his wrath. And, I felt powerful. 

He may have control of his palace, but I can take over with a snap of a finger.

But, I don't want to take over so easily. What's the point of being so powerful if you can't prove it to others?

But, shadows are to blame. The sins a human makes piled up into making a shadow, whose natural instinct is to carry on and encourage their carrier.

Before their shadows were created, they were just like most people.

Trying to survive in a dystopia no one can bear living in anymore.

Usually, whenever I try to kill or punish the shadows of my culprits, I watch them dissolve.

Sometimes, they show raw emotion.

I stopped crying after the fourth shadow. But, I grab the shadow's hand, press it against my lap as I kneel down. I hold it down until it finally dissolved into the air.

I could feel them crying, releasing all the emotions they've concealed for so long.

I don't do it to all my victims. I do it to those who still have a chance to redeem themselves. And, to those who have suffered as much as I did. This isn't how I mainly solve cases.

I prefer doing them in the real world than this one. Yes, the shadows reveal their true selves, but in the real world, everybody sees. Only those with privileges like me can see the other side of them.

Akechi doesn't understand. I've seen how crazed his expression gets during the interviews. As he interviews the culprit, he tries to anger them. Getting the truth out of them through anger isn't reliable. But, he finds satisfaction as the culprit breaks down.

Until one time, a man was caught screaming bloody murder after his children were shot in the chest. We were the ones assigned to get information out of the man. And, Akechi, as always, tried to take charge of the case.

I stood behind Akechi before he started bringing up harmful information about the victims.

"That's enough, Akechi! You're stressing the poor man out!" I intervene. "His mind will break if you continue doing this!"

I grabbed his arm and led him out of the room. A shadow seemed to cover his face until I forced him to look at me.

"This isn't a game. Why the hell are you acting like this? You're not a kid! This is a man who lost two of his children. Have some sympathy!" I scolded him. 

Akechi gives me this ice, cold stare. It was a fire in his eyes that was extinguished by the winds of a roaring blizzard. I bit down on my tongue to keep myself from saying anything else.

We both argued, ultimately letting someone take the case for us. We couldn't agree on anything. I always found a flaw in his strategies and plans while he didn't think my plans were enough. 

I was blind to him. For the first time, my rage was swirling inside me like a tornado destroying everything in its path. He was so calm and collected as he spoke in such a intelligent, mature manner. It triggered something inside of me that came from my experience. It must be from the way we were raised, but the sadistic, twisted personality of his scared me. And my calm, kind personality seems to scare him.

As I looked deep in his eyes, I knew in a moment that we were different in so many ways. We wanted the same thing, but we had completely different methods of getting there, blinding us of other alternative paths that may benefit us well. We're two lost teenagers trying to get through this cruel society.

I have yet to thank him. I intended on dropping him from my cases and getting recognition.  I didn't want the public to know who I was. I just wanted to gain power discreetly and change something in this government. I didn't know that it was only for my life that it would benefit.

"You're right. I'm sorry. It was immature of me to intervene with your interrogation," I closed my eyes and gave him a slight bow. He was clearly shocked. He didn't expect this, but, I don't care.

I got him. Speechless.

His mouth was open and trying to find the right words, but nothing came out. 

I won.

Instead of arguing, I will love. I will respect him as much as he may respect me later in the future. Only then, our hearts will hopefully feel more human. It's a perfect way in which peace will become inevitable, rather than impossible to find.

I'll try to find the answer to our peace. Hopefully, as the duo we're meant to be, we'll find a new sight that will be something more comforting than full of spite.

I know his intentions. I've met men like Goro Akechi before.

He used his words like weapons. I am a glass figure, perfect to the eyes of society, but extremely fragile. His words may bring me raw pain, but I was already broken. He may do his worst and shatter me into pieces. But glass shards always cut deep into someone's skin. And, despite the size, can leave a scar if dug deep enough.

:33