She scanned me with her soul sight. "Tyran, something is really off about you."

"I enjoyed it." I gritted my teeth. "I enjoyed watching Chilton and every other dragon in that room cower. I fed off the fear rolling off of Breach the whole time."

I hid my head under her neck.

"Oh..." She gulped. "I suppose that's normal? I mean, you've never really tasted power before right?"

Cynther stirred and moaned. "Oh, but I just did. Tyran, sweetheart, that was delicious..." She rolled over onto her side and stared at us. "I don't even know where that came from, but it was hot and spicy!"

Sill squeaked. "Can you not sound so sexual about it!"

Cynther shook her head and giggled. "No, there's no other way to really put it. You see, I can taste emotions through any magic. Tyran, seriously, got off on whatever he's been doing out there. How about you tell us the whole story? Who riled your scales this time thunder boy?"

We all sat up on our haunches in a triangle, and I spent the next several minutes bringing them up to speed. I told them everything that happened with Eramir, Lu'Quin cutting out the dead flesh, my training with Breach, and my challenge with Chilton. They listened quietly until I finished.

Both of their tails were thrashing around angrily by the end of it.

Cynther growled. "How dare Chilton bully you like that! Doesn't he realize that's strictly forbidden? He's faculty! He can't just walk all over students! Eramir will hear of this!"

I shook my head. "No, the one we should let know is Master Eldrake. I'm sure he'd love to know what that trash employee of his is saying about his daughter."

Sill growled. "I could care less about that! Tryan, you made yourself look like a villain." She pouted, her eyes a mixture of red and purple frustration.

Cynther laughed out loud. "Yeah! And he loved it! Imagine that, our little Tyran's fangs finally dropped."

Sill shushed her. "It's not about fangs! He was powerful before, but now he's crossed a line he may never come back from. That fear is a seed he planted back in the arena, and now he's only nurtured it further. Eventually that fear is going to spread to every corner of this school and beyond. You don't have to be the Reaver, Tyran! Dragons just have to believe you are! Then they're going to come for you!"

Cynther lost a shade of color, her eye's widening as Sill's words sunk in.

I felt sick.

Sill whipped her tail around and snapped me on the flank.

I yelped and cringed back, my wings flaring out.

Cynther gasped and covered her mouth, her eyes darted between Sill and the red welt growing on my flank.

Sill growled at me. "You are sacrificing everything for some petty vengeance trip, because you were picked on as a little hatchy! You hated being seen as the villain, and you worked your tail off to get control of your magic, and for what? Are you going to throw away who you wanted to be, because now the tables have turned and you can rub other dragons' noses in their own dross?"

She whipped me again in the same spot with a loud crack!

I yelped. "Okay! I get it, I'm sorry!"

"That was for me! I feel a little better now, stupid derg." She pouted.

Cynther snorted and buried her head in the sheets to muffle her laughter.

When I was thoroughly miserable, Cynther's tail whipped around and lashed my other flank.