Chapter 15: The affair of letters

"Dear Sahil,

I just reached to my home last night and I feel so lonely without you. But don't you worry. Once my responsibilities are over, we would be together again. And that time it would be forever. I pray to God that Piku would remember the whereabouts of my home."

Yours,

Diya.

I grinned as I typed the word "home". Couldn't wrote the word "palace". I had reached to my palace at night time and decided that Piku should take some rest and fly at the morning to drop my letter to Sahil.

As I freed Piku, I heaved a sigh thinking about the previous day wondering when would I meet Sahil again and got ready to face the court proceedings. I was sure that the learned Council of my parents would demand my marriage in order to fill the void of a co ruler. I couldn't blame them as they didn't know my caliber. That I don't need any man to complete me as a ruler. However their constant demands were causing me headaches.

I reached to the Court only to be given the letter by the Minister Surabhji. It was from my parents.

Dear Adiya,

We are sorry that we had to leave the palace last night at such a short notice. We are going to the Harsha Kingdom in order to decide the prospect of the war. I want the approval of your grandparents before we wage the full fledged war. We thought it would be better if we sit and discuss about it face to face. So for next 2-3 days, you are the in charge of the kingdom. Rule the court proceedings as if you are the Ruler. It's a blessing in disguise because our absence could be a learning for you.

You can do it daughter,

Your parents,

King Aarya and Queen Adina.

I wondered why my parents were worried because I would be great on that throne. But first I needed some blessings. I mentally took blessings of my parents and grandparents. I remembered the God. And then, I touched the feet of the members of the Council of the court. They were shocked because they knew that I hate listening to them. But after all they were my seniors and elders. Sometimes I do respect them.

I sat on the throne. And it gave me some serious goosebumps. I felt a sense of power. And then a huge burden of responsibility. As if the lives of millions of people depended upon me. Upon my decisions. Upon my policies.

There were a few things I need to change especially in my Kingdom.

***********************************
"But why this sudden idea has occurred to you?" Asked the council. They found my ideas abnormal. As usual.

"We need to educate the girls of our kingdom. We need them to be sent to the Gurukul." I told them.

"Your Majesty, the public wouldn't like the idea of you sending girls to the Gurukul because they are not privileged like yourself. Their mothers would like them to stay at home and learn the household chores while they grow up." Said The Minister Surabhji.

"Is it necessary to educate every girl child in our kingdom? The literature is being studied by the boys whereas girls are taught household chores, music and dancing by their mothers." Said another member of the Council.

"It's because the women are the essence of any civilisation. Goddess Lakshmiji (The Goddess of wealth and bliss) and Goddess Saraswatiji (The Goddess of Knowledge) reside where the women are respected and given the chance to develop themselves." I explained them.

I had assumed the throne and only half an hour had passed. Yet ruling for half an hour felt like a day because the Council and the Ministers would require an explanation about every decision of mine. And sometimes it was difficult to convince them.

"I order that the most learned Pandits (Scholars) of our kingdoms are called into this palace." I roared and this shocked and silenced the council at the same time. I made a poker face and within heaved a sigh of relief. I need to learn how to have a upper hand.

The Pandits were called. I requested them firmly to teach the girls of our kingdom, the scriptures.

"We cannot send girls to the Gurukul But we can bring them the Gurukul here." I smiled.

"I want the biggest garden of our palace to be turned into the school for the girls!" I ordered.

I requested to the Pandits to teach them everyday for some hours.

"At what time would you like the girls to be taught?" Asked a Minister.

"Brahama Muhurat" I smiled as I remembered how I trained with Sahil during the early dawn time during my Gurukul days.

"Blow the trumpets and let the whole Kingdom know! It's compulsory for every girl aged 5 to 15.. to assume the free education of Scriptures and swordsmanship as well as archery! It's high time that women of our Kingdom be as powerful as men!" I Shouted and was hailed by all the female court members!
**********^*********^**************

"Dear Diya!

I miss you too. I cannot tell you how much I am longing to make you my life partner. I have no idea what kind of responsibilities you have. But if you order me, I can literally get us married within no time. I will come and meet your parents to ask for your hand.

Anyways I would be patient enough to wait for you. Wait for your simple "yes" and then bring my family to yours to seek your hand. I dream to make you my bride and an important part of my life!

And by bride, I do not seek you to be my inferior while I bask in glory! By making you my bride, I want you to be my equal in every sense. Let's hope you would be mine soon because I am already yours. You possess my heart and soul.

Yours lovingly
Sahil.

I sighed as I read the letter which was delivered to me by Piku later in the evening! I wondered if he lived in my Kingdom or any neighbouring kingdom. I wished I had asked him where he lived and what he did for his livelihood. But asking for his identity would mean I would be required to disclose mine. And that would be a shock for him. No, I must wait for the war to be over! One problem at a time.