Your mouth suddenly made an 'O' shape as your noticed the doors were made to open to the sides. The door creaked as you wiggled your fingers through them as your body ached just prying them open. You were thrown forwards suddenly onto your stomach, the sliding doors behind you slamming shut.

The shrieks of infected sounded out in the depths of the mall. You gasped and forced yourself up onto your feet, "Oh shit oh shit."

At least seven infected surfaced from the isles and were headed right towards you. You sprinted towards the storage room room straight ahead of you.

A Runner body slammed itself into you, sending you plummeting into a ragged hole in the ground which lead to the pitch black basement. You wrestled with the runner that attacked you. Despite the sharp pain that shot up your left arm, you stayed strong and fought back. You pulled out your small bowie knife and plummeted the blade into the neck of the infected, ripping it out afterwards.

It's body fell limp onto you. You were winded by it's weight, using all of your strength to push it off of you as it flopped onto the ground beside you.

The other infected above you didn't follow surprisingly, they were too stupid to realise you had fallen through the floor.

Getting up slowly, you winced and clutched onto your arm, "Goddamn it.. shit.. I think I broke it." You mumbled to yourself. It was indeed a good job that it wasn't your shooting arm.

Your flashlight flickered on as it illuminated the shadows within the darkness of the basement. You pulled out your pistol and proceeded slowly around each corner. There were no signs of infected or spores, you figured the basement was safe and it was surprising.

"How the fuck do I get out of here?" Every corner you turned, came face to face with either a dead end or piles of heavy, mouldy, furniture blocking possible exits.

The shrieking cries of runners and clickers above you suddenly filled your alerted ears. You swallowed nervously and hesitantly approached what seemed to be a set of double doors. It lead to the second part of the basement.

You peered through the glass and noted the spores lingering in the air. You cursed beneath your breath and rummaged through your backpack only to discover that your mask had smashed from your unfortunate fall earlier on.

"No no.. fuck!" You threw the mask in temper and sat upon the cold ground in defeat.

"Shit.. it's been an hour since I signed in at the last outpost.. people are gonna be worrying."

The groaning of infected above you set your mind on an uneasy tangent. God knows how long you would be stuck down here, would you even be able to make it out? Or perhaps a search party would be gathered for you. Kurtis, your horse, was still outside waiting for you patiently. Either the infected would draw him away or the cold weather overtime would. It was only a matter of time until that would happen and your people wouldn't be able to scout you out.

"I should've had Ellie to come with me.." You winced again from the pain shooting up your left arm and shuffled into a corner.

You needed rest. You had been drained of your energy from clearing out buildings on your own for the last hours of the morning.

Your head sank into your knees as you huffed in exhaustion. Your heavy eyelids locked themselves together as the darkness took over shortly after.

"Where's Y/n? Shouldn't she be back by now?"

A stressful Ellie was pacing back and fourth with her handmade bracelet for you, clutched nervously in her tight grasp.

Maria flicked through the book that people would sign out of for patrols.

"It said she signed out early this morning. It's around noon now." Maria's eyebrows furrowed, she tried her best to not assume the worst.

"What about the others? Are they back?"

Maria flipped the pages to the front of the log book and nodded, "They came back over an hour ago."

Ellie picked up her coat on the chair in front of her and slipped it on quickly. She picked up a pistol from the table and cocked it back.

"What do you think you're doing?" Maria scowled at Ellie and stood up straight.

"Going after Y/n." She stomped her way over to the door and slammed it open.

"Ellie! You can't on your own, it's too dangerous? Jesse can go with you."

Ellie scoffed, "And Y/n went out on her own. She should've been back awhile ago."

Maria grasped Ellie's arm, "Please Ellie, you can't go on your own. The front gates aren't even open and they won't let you out."

Ellie stared at Maria's tight hand on her arm. She pulled out her gloves and slipped them onto her hands silently. Maria observed her rather aggressive movements.

Ellie's green eyes met with Maria's blue ones. She squinted her eyes and pried away from her grasp.

"Well, then I'll make them."