"Thank you," She smiled at him. "Ahem," She cleared her throat when he hadn't released her hand after a moment.

"Right... Well," He let go, glancing around to ensure they were still alone. "I wouldn't want to be late for my meeting. I'll see you later Ms. Vanderwall," He smirked.

"Captain Fischer," She nodded, returning his smirk.

Josef turned and walked out of the break room, disappearing through a set of double doors at the end of the hallway. Turning on her heel, Mila walked the opposite way, returning to her desk. Opening the blue folder she had left on her desk before her break, she began skimming the agenda she had typed up for tomorrow's meeting, her mind wandering back to her plans for obtaining the transport locations. Josef had freely volunteered the information she had already given to the Lingards. She had been able to get it out of him with a little bit of casual conversation ... Something told her the specifics, like times and locations, weren't going to come up over dinner as easily though.

"I just need to drop off these files on Operation Workhorse, then I'll be ready to go," Mila heard from across the room. Glancing up from her papers, her eyes fell on Lieutenants Schneider and Weber. She recognized them both from the daily briefings with General Eichmann, though she had never spoken directly to either of them. She knew, however, that Lieutenant Schneider had been attending the special meetings about the supply transports to Berlin. She eyed the file he held at his side ... Operation Workhorse ... She didn't recall ever hearing that name before. Could it be the codename for the Stalingrad relief effort? She watched out of the corner of her eye as Lieutenant Schneider walked across the room to the General's office. Turning the knob, he walked inside, returning after a moment, the folder he had held no longer in his hand.

Keeping her eyes on Schneider, she watched as he walked back across the room to Weber, the pair walking out of the building together. Looking up from her desk, she glanced around the room. The office was completely empty except for her, the rest of the typists already having gone home for the evening, and the remaining officers in the afternoon meeting Mila was never invited to.

Looking around for any sign of someone else, she stood up from her desk, grabbing the folder she had been pretending to look over. She needed to see what was in that file Lieutenant Schneider had been carrying. It very well could hold the answers she desperately needed ... And if she could get them without involving Josef, even better. Gliding across the room, she approached General Eichmann's door, glancing behind her one last time, she turning the knob, opening the door just enough to slip inside.

Wasting no time, she approached his desk, her heart beating like a drum against her ears. Her eyes scanned the stacks of papers and folders sitting atop the dark chestnut until she saw it - a bright red folder with Operation Workhorse stamped across the front. Glancing towards the door, she opened the file, quickly scanning over the first page. 'January 5th ... Arnhem ... January 9th ... Bocholt ... January 11th ... Essen,' She read, snippets of dates and locations popping out as she scanned the pages. This was the information she had been looking for, she was sure of it. Flipping through a few more of the pages, she looked over the various maps that had been sketched out, detailing the path the transport trucks would take.

"Thank you Captain," she heard General Eichmann call from outside the door. Closing the folder, she grabbed the file she had carried in with her just as General Eichmann opened the office door.

"Ms. Vanderwall," He said, a look of surprise on his face as his eyes fell on her.

"Oh, hello sir," She said, mustering the best smile she could. "I - um - finished the agenda for tomorrow a little early," She said, holding up the blue folder in her hand. "I didn't want to disturb your meeting so I thought I'd just slip it in your office before I left for the evening ... I hope that's okay," She added, peering up at him innocently.

"Of course," He replied, his face relaxing into a pleasant smile.

"Well," She said, skirting around him as she made her way for the door. "I suppose I should get going."

"Ms. Vanderwall," General Eichmann called from behind her.

Her heart racing out of her chest, she turned around to face him. "Yes sir?"

"The agenda?" He said, pointing to the file she still held in her hand.

"Oh, of course," She laughed nervously. "Sorry ... It's been quite a long day," She added, giving him an apologetic smile as she handed over the folder.

"No problem," He shook his head. "I trust you'll get plenty of rest for tomorrow. We have another long day of meetings."

"Of course sir," She nodded, the nauseous feeling in her stomach dissipating slightly. "Thank you." With that, she left the office, her legs feeling as though they might give way at any moment. That had been close ... Too close. Reaching her desk, she began gathering her things, not wanting to waste anymore time before leaving.

"In trouble with the boss?" A familiar voice called from behind her. Turning around, her eyes fell on Lieutenant Hoffmann.

"No ... Why would you say that?" She asked, her tone coming off more defensive that she had intended it to.

"Relax," He chuckled, leaning against her desk. "I was only joking."

"I was just giving General Eichmann the agenda for tomorrow morning's briefing before I left for the day," She said, turning her attentions back to packing up her things.

"Well I'm glad I caught you then," He said, the smirk on his face evident in his voice. "There are some high ranking officials coming to visit next week and there's going to be a banquet held in their honor."

The knot in Mila's stomach tightened ... She knew where this was going.

"Considering you still haven't let me take you out, I was wondering-," He continued but she cut him off.

"Oh Lieutenant Hoffmann," She began, mustering the most apologetic smile she could as she turned to look at him. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea..."

"There'll be dancing ... Champagne," He continued, ignoring her objections.

"I'm afraid I'm already going with someone," She blurted out.

"Oh," He said, the smirk he had worn deflating into a frown. "Who?"

"A ... Friend," She lied, biting her cheek as the warmth of a blush crept up her chest and neck.

"A friend?" He asked, his eyebrows arching in suspicion.

"Yes," She nodded confidently.

"Well ... Save a dance for me then," He said, his smirk returning as he pushed himself off her desk, his eyes trailing down her body one last time before he disappeared out the door.

------------------------------

Don't forget to vote and comment :)