Chapter 43

Another chapter because I literally can't control myself! LOL I hadn't intended to write over the weekend, but I got some unexpected inspiration and wrote the whole thing on my phone while on the way home from visiting family! I hope you guys like...

Another chapter because I literally can't control myself! LOL I hadn't intended to write over the weekend, but I got some unexpected inspiration and wrote the whole thing on my phone while on the way home from visiting family! I hope you guys like it!!

****TRIGGER WARNING**** Once again, this chapter has a brief scene with some violence. If you think that will affect you at all please read until you see a "~" and skip everything after that until you see another "~" (it's a very brief scene so I was able to break it up from the rest of the chapter this time!)

Mila sat at the table with her knees pulled up to her chest. Josef had left the room nearly an hour ago, and she's been alone ever since. Her mind had raced with a million thoughts the moment he'd stepped out the door. How long would she be kept in this tiny room? Would Josef succeed in getting her out of here? Would Lieutenant Hoffmann return to finish what he'd started? How soon would Gestapo arrive?

She was pulled abruptly from her thoughts when the door creaked open. Josef stepped inside, a file in one hand, a tape recorder in the other, and closed the door behind him. She stood to her feet expectantly, waiting for him to speak.

"I'm here to conduct your interview," He said, gesturing to the chair she'd abruptly stood up from. "Please, sit."

Sitting down, she waited as he made his way across the room, taking a seat in the chair across from her. Putting the file down in front of him, he sat the recorder beside it.

"Before I turn this tape on I want to be perfectly clear," He began. Leaning forward he propped him elbows on the table. "I have a part to play, and so do you. Do you understand?"

She nodded. They both had to play this game, and play it perfectly, if there was an chance of getting out of it alive. Josef nodded back, pressing play on the recorder.

"State your name," He began flatly, opening up the folder.

"Mila Goldstein," She replied.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-two."

"Where are you from?"

"Den Haag."

"And where are you employed?"

"The German War Office."

"How do you know Harvey Lingard, and Catherine Hereford?"

"I don't," She lied.