Chapter 13

It was tea time; Timothy could tell by the empty feeling in his stomach and the scents and noises which came floating out of the parlor. In that glorious room, he could hear teacups and saucers rattling, and he knew that the most delectable things were being enjoyed by the guests: Bavarian cream, almond cake, cups of creamed tea.

Tim snapped himself out of a daydream. "Don't fink of it!" he told himself. "Ain't none of it for you! For you, there'll be a nice boiled potato an' a nice boiled egg!" But when would that simple, nourishing meal come? It would be two more hours before the servants got a chance to eat their own meal, and Timothy was usually served last of all.

He slipped past the parlor door like a shadow and pressed on toward Hannover's office, trying to ignore his hunger. After knocking, he tiptoed into the room where his master was working.

"Sir, me work's all done. 'Ave ya got anyfing else for me t' do?" His eyes drifted to a cup of coffee on the desk and a bowl of chocolates which Hannover was savoring one by one.

"Yes," the man said with a grumbling sigh. "Close those blasted drapes behind me, and burn this boring drivel to ashes!" He shoved his paperwork away and dropped his pen with a splatter of ink. "I need a holiday, Timothy," he groaned, hanging his head in his hands. "A long one!"

"Well then, sir, it seems yer in the right place!" Tim said innocently.

"Ha! And how is that?" Hannover scoffed.

"'Cause yer always a-sayin' this is the place for takin' 'olidays! All kinds o' folk come 'ere to 'ave 'em."

"Well, this is the last place I would have mine!" the man griped. "This is the very place I want a holiday from! Don't you understand that?"

Completely distraught, he grabbed another piece of chocolate and shoved it into his mouth for consolation. Tim's eyes watched with starving interest. Hannover saw Timothy's yearning gaze, and his heart gave a little throb of pity. He looks hungry, poor fellow, he thought, reaching for one more chocolate. And no wonder! He hasn't eaten a thing since morning. But... He looked at his marvelous, sweet treat and coveted it in his heart. But this would do him absolutely, positively no good! Why, it would be worse than neglect to offer him anything like this before supper! Besides, what a waste! The lad is used to bland, wholesome foods. He doesn't know the first thing about chocolates, and he wouldn't know how to appreciate them! No, no, he shall have his potato and egg just as always! Goodness knows, it is all he needs, and it is all he deserves! After all, he does me so little service that it is practically charity that I feed him at all!

He popped the last chocolate into his mouth and closed his eyes as it melted into sweet nothingness. But right in the middle of his savory moment, a noise seized his attention. Downstairs, a doorbell rang. It was just a faint jangle in Hannover's ears, but he heard it instantly and his heart gave a bound.

"Someone has come! Another guest!" he said eagerly. "Think of it, Timothy! Another guest means another room filled and more money gained!" He jumped up from his chair in a hurry and marched to the door with new energy. "Perhaps I won't take that holiday after all," he said. "There is too much work to do here! Too much to gain!" His voice grew distant as he rushed down the hall.

Curiosity played with Timothy's mind. Who had arrived? Was it a stranger? Or was it Grace's brother coming to save her? Ever since he had met the sweet girl, he had longed for her brother's arrival almost as much as she did.

He couldn't put his questions out of his mind. He wished that he could tiptoe out of the room and steal a glance at the customer downstairs. But he didn't dare. After what had happened the last time he had snuck downstairs, he wasn't about to try it again. If he got caught, he knew things wouldn't go well. Besides, he didn't want to disobey Hannover; he didn't want to do anything that would make his master angry.