Chapter 11

Hannover walked very slowly. He had just left Netherstrand's beautiful iron gate, and ahead of him the road stretched out toward town.

I really ought to make some haste! he thought as the church bells chimed in the distance. What will people say if I am late?

He had never been late for church a day in his life. It wasn't because he enjoyed sitting through the long sermons preached there. Truth be told, he found them rather dull, and he hardly paid them any heed. But he had to keep up a good appearance for the public. Everyone respected him as an honest, Christian man. And he truly believed that he was one.

But today, Hannover was dragging his feet, and he didn't want to admit why. He glanced over his shoulder almost wishfully, but no one was there.

Well, so be it, he thought at last, picking up his pace and shoving his hands into his pockets. I can't wait all day! I never knew the boy to be so tardy! Can't he even get himself ready for the day in time to walk to church? What does he do all morning on a Sunday? Sleep in? It isn't as if his work is hard! Well, good riddance! If he misses the morning service, he can walk all alone to the evening one.

Hannover stomped on, but it wasn't long before he paused again. For the last few Sundays, Timothy had always trailed behind him, filling the air with happy tunes and bothering the man with silly questions which Hannover pretended not to like. It was odd, but the man actually felt lonely without the boy. It was as if the sun had ceased to shine or the birds had stopped their singing.

Oh, bosh! What nonsense! he grumbled I have no need of his company. I daresay, I have been waiting for him solely for his own benefit and nothing else. The little fellow hasn't anyone else to keep company with. But I am not going to sacrifice my own reputation and all of my time for him!

He tried to convince himself that it had been all for Timothy's sake that he had waited. But when he heard little footsteps racing behind him, his lonely heart lightened with joy.

"Mr. Hannover, wait!" the boy called. "Oh, please wait!"

Hannover felt a smile growing over his moody face. But he did his best to banish it before he turned to look at his errand boy.

"Ah, so you decided to go to church after all, eh?" he asked, stopping to let Timothy catch up. "Well, you certainly waited long enough! Do you know, you are going to be very late? I feel it my duty, young man, to warn you against laziness! In my establishment, you will always be on time. My business cannot wait! Show a hint of tardiness again, and I will dismiss you from my service without notice."

"Yes, Mr. Hannover," Timothy answered, smiling humbly but happily. He pressed his little hand into his master's with undaunted confidence and then skipped along beside him all the way to church. Hannover didn't object. Instead, he folded his own fingers around that little hand without even thinking it strange.

He was getting very used to Timothy's presence. Without even realizing it, Timothy had become the only light in his dim, unhappy world. He would never have admitted it to himself, but he was just as dependent on that happy, little boy as Timothy was on him. When he threatened to dismiss the boy without notice, he only did it in peevish fun. He knew deep inside that he was deceiving both the child and himself. He tried to convince himself that letting go of the boy would be as easy as dropping a piece of paper into the rubbish bin. But in the depths of his heart, he knew that he couldn't and wouldn't let go of him.

The two weren't as late as Hannover had feared. They found a good seat near the front of the building, and to Timothy's delight, they chanced to sit right next to the Carlyles. Timothy found himself squished between his master's lanky frame and Mr. Carlyle's enormous one. But, tight as it was, he didn't mind. From that place, he could glance past Mr. Carlyle and see Grace's lovely face.